Source for Apollo Valves?

G8RDave

Reaction score
I was in the process of replacing the rusted out ball joints on the rods that connect to the seacock handles for the livewell and raw water washdown (I still can't believe they made the ball joints out of anything other than stainless steel) and it now appears that one of the stems is stripped (I had to remove the handle to get the ball joint apart). I either need to replace the stem if possible or replace the whole valve.

Anyone have a suggestion as to where I could get a new valve? In the meantime, what would be the consequences of using Locktite to make sure the nut doesn't back off?

G8RDave

Reaction score
I was just thinking. Since the only thing the lever nut does is keep the lever from falling off, why couldn't I just drill a small hole through the stem and use a cotter pin instead of the nut? Then it wouldn't matter that the stem is stripped. The stem has two flat sides and is reasonably accessible to a drill.

Apolloballvalve.jpg

richie rich

Reaction score
Pretty much any plumbing supply house wil carry them....I've even seen them at Home Depot...just make sure its stainless....you can locktite the nut..use the medium so it can be taken apart with hand tools....the red stuff requires heat for removal. I would not remove the nut for just a cotter pin as the nut actually spreads the load of the handle in case you pull up on it....if anything, drill through the nut and the thread and cotter or "safety" pin them in place.