Sourcing new-used outboards 2000 Gulfstream 232

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Purchased a used 2000 Gulfstream 232 last July with two Yamaha 2-cycle 150’s. Engines were sold with approximately 500 hours (owner supplied survey backing it) but when port engine needed work discovered both had just under 1200 hours. Not overly concerned and based upon year actual hours made more sense. Pleased with the boat but do have ongoing concerns with the port engine.

Inquiring into the value of switching to newer 4-cycle engines (150-200) and the effort of cabling and wiring back to console. Any recommendations on whom to work with to locate a pair of newer engines? Expecting this change would be my last swap as I head into retirement in a few years.

Not boat currently used on fresh water but may retire south and switch to living on or near the ocean.

Have a great holiday season and stay safe. Crazy world but fishing is always doable!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good luck in your search. I've been waiting for 15 months on a new 4.2 F250. Yamaha rep, nor dealer, have any clue as to when I will see it. That being said, there have been a few smaller HP motors trickle in at a few dealers. If you're retiring south as in Florida, Central Marine is the largest Yamaha dealer around, but even they don't know when they will see the bigger motors. I do know he's had some small motors come through. As far as used goes, even those may be hard to find. With no inventory of new motors available, people like myself, are holding on to their running motors. Buying used is a crap shoot as to what you're getting. You're taking the sellers word that it is a good motor. Buying used from a reputable dealer would be better, as hopefully he has run it through the service department and it's been checked out.

As far as repower with another manufacturer, from what I read, they too are having supply issues with availability as well, maybe not as bad as Yamaha, but still issues.

chrisk

Reaction score
Purchased a used 2000 Gulfstream 232 last July with two Yamaha 2-cycle 150’s. Engines were sold with approximately 500 hours (owner supplied survey backing it) but when port engine needed work discovered both had just under 1200 hours. Not overly concerned and based upon year actual hours made more sense. Pleased with the boat but do have ongoing concerns with the port engine.

Inquiring into the value of switching to newer 4-cycle engines (150-200) and the effort of cabling and wiring back to console. Any recommendations on whom to work with to locate a pair of newer engines? Expecting this change would be my last swap as I head into retirement in a few years.

Not boat currently used on fresh water but may retire south and switch to living on or near the ocean.

Have a great holiday season and stay safe. Crazy world but fishing is always doable!
I have a 1992 24 Explorer. Original motor was a Yamaha 225 2 stroke. Upgraded in (?) to a Yamaha 225 4 stroke and again in 2016 to a 4.2 Litre V Max 250 (fantastic motor!). I was able to use the original wiring and cables for each upgrade. I did replace the cables when I put the last motor on as they were just too old to be comfortable with. If you got with a "fly by wire" set up (many of the newer models) you will have to upgrade your controls but if you stay with a "mechanical" model your existing controls should work.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you look on Boat Trader in the outboard motor section you can enter your zip code and do a search within a couple hundred miles. There’s a place called Monahan’s Marine in Massachusetts that looks like it’s about 200 miles away and they have a few 115 Yamaha’s and 150’s as well. Might give them a call and see what they have to say? I have no experience with them as I live in Seattle.

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
If you look on Boat Trader in the outboard motor section you can enter your zip code and do a search within a couple hundred miles. There’s a place called Monahan’s Marine in Massachusetts that looks like it’s about 200 miles away and they have a few 115 Yamaha’s and 150’s as well. Might give them a call and see what they have to say? I have no experience with them as I live in Seattle.
Thanks for the heads up!

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Rigging the motors and wiring is not all that bad. If mechanical controls on the new-to-you motors the control cables should be the same, but might be worth switching out anyways if original, they are not that expensive. Another thing to consider if you are going to repower used, make sure the engines are completely gone through for all their trouble spots, those 2 stroke Yamaha's may last another 1200 hours with the same PM's as used four strokes. Would hate to have newer motors that are not reliable where what you have now might be. I have learned the hard way a couple times.

Reactions: magicalbill

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Agree with Fire93medic on keeping your 2-strokes if practical.

I had a 2007 Gulfstream for 10 years; I know that hull well, and I wouldn't go any lower than twin 150's. Twin 200's would be better, and be glad you have twins. I would NEVER have that widebody 9' 3" beam hull with a single. It would be hard to horse around a dock in wind/current and that hull performs much better with twins.