Southco hinges

G8RDave

Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I could buy a new Southco hinge? The ones I am talking about are on the overhead electronics box in my 228 (they are also used on the dash electronics door). They are the detent style that hold the doors open at certain angles. One of mine popped this weekend. No luck at West Marine or Boater's World.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I got mine last spring at Somers Point marina in NJ. Look them up on the web or call 609-927-5900. HUGE inventory of Grady parts.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
Go to their website, I beleive they have part numbers and dealers listed. You can also search the net to get dealers.

G8RDave

Reaction score
I ended up having to order them from the local dealer ($23 a piece - or something like that). I figured if one popped the others are probably close behind so I went ahead and ordered all 6.

antaris

Reaction score
for future reference, here is the related Southco literature (from their online technical specs),

replaced them last year on my ADVENTURE 208, but I believe that they're the same...

and

antaris

Reaction score
... and, while we're at it, here's my solution to make the electronics box easy to open for tool-less access, by using 2 Southco draw latches.

My problem was that I found it too heavy to open/close on my own - since the one on my 208 needed unscrewing from the sides to open.

This solution has worked fine for one season, the box never opened in rough seas. The good thing about this specific latch design is that even if the latch does open, the hook-end holds on to the eye bolt...

Plus that you can fine adjust the tension with a wrench...

KEEP THE "A" ANGLE (see drawing) as close to 0 as possible.

Please note that this is a DIY solution, so please use at your own risk!

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yep, thats the one, (southco C6 hinges) I have replaced twice now in 5 years. The spring keeper tabs deteriorate and the springs pop out. Watch the opening detent angle. I think you want the 115 degree opening.
Nice job on the drop down E-Box with awesome details/drawings.
If I did not already have one secured up there, I would do it.