Southern Boy w/ Cold Weather Question

Bama96

Reaction score
Guys it is going down in the teens tonight and single digits by Saturday. I just got my Tournament 225 home. What should I do to the fresh water tank? Also should I wrap the lower unit? Not used to this cold stuff. :shock:

Grady678

Reaction score
Bama96 said:
Guys it is going down in the teens tonight and single digits by Saturday. I just got my Tournament 225 home. What should I do to the fresh water tank? Also should I wrap the lower unit? Not used to this cold stuff. :shock:

Go to west marine or RV dealer and get non toxic anti freeze. Run it through the fresh water system until the facuet/s spill pink. Not sure what your concern is about the lower unit.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
make sure it's the antifreeze for water systems, not just non-toxic. run the tank dry then run the antifreeze thru it. use all faucets - sink, cockpit shower, windshield washer, etc. you should also run antifreeze thru your saltwater systems or at least make sure they are completely empty (blow air thru them?).

as far a lu, we change the gear lube before layup to ensure that there is no water intrusion, which could freeze and damage the unit. should also ensure the engines are down so that they drain.

congrats. hope you have a lot of fun with it. you'll be buzzing around long before we will. ron :D

oh, and if you have a porta pottie, empty the fresh water and put some of the antifreeze in the holding tank. i always poured some down the deck pumpout to make sure it was covered.

Grady678

Reaction score
Saltwater systems freezing? Bama and I don't see temps. that low down here. Thanks for windshield wiper fluid flush suggestion. Doesn't really matter much.....I think most of my systems exploded 2 days ago. I am 5 hours from my boat.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
saltwater freezes at like 28 degrees. if you have prolonged cold spell without moving that water thru the systems you could have issues. most of the saltwater systems kind of drain off on their own though, just have to be concerned were any water could pool. hope it goes well for you. ron

Bama96

Reaction score
Well the damn fresh water nozzle and pump is already frozen. Must have frozen last night when I was on the road. I was worried about the LU because I ran it yesterday then flushed it with fresh water. It had water draining out when I lowered it this am when I got in. I just wrapped it with moving blankets and duct taped her up. I can't tell if the LU oil has any water in it. Better safe than sorry. Removed the porta potti. Damn I hate this cold weather. I don't know how you Northern boys handle it.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Pull the plug on the transom so any water will drain from the bilge area so as not to damage pumps.

jaydub

Reaction score
Bama, I can't keep up with your boats. Didn't know you had a Tournament now, thought you still had the Marlin that you bought after the 222. This cold sucks...we're supposed to get to around 32 in SW Florida tonight. Citrus crops may be in trouble.

Bama96

Reaction score
Can't make my mind up. I guess I am going to try them all. :lol: Got the 225 last night and drove her home from South Carolina. Sold the Marlin back at the middle of Dec.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Congratulations the boat looks fantastic.

For freezing preventative measures use a shop vacuum to suck out the water from all of the drains and then use it to suck out the bilge. In the 275 there are two access ports to the bilge on forward and one aft, not sure what is on the 225. As for the fresh water tank ElyseM has you hooked up already. If you can’t do the above buy a couple of more gallons of antifreeze and dump it in all of the drains and the rest in the bilge then take the boat for a ride down the street to mix it with the water. It might not totally prevent freezing, it will at most allow slush to form which will not hurt anything. The hard freeze and correlated expansion during which is what you are concerned with.

Oh open all of the seacocks.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I just thought of this on my way to work this morning...

Years ago, I was told to never leave electronics in my boat over the winter because the display could freeze. I don't know at what temp that would happen but why take the chance? It makes me wonder how the new cars with display screens hold up during the cold winter.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
journeyman said:
I just thought of this on my way to work this morning...

Years ago, I was told to never leave electronics in my boat over the winter because the display could freeze. I don't know at what temp that would happen but why take the chance? It makes me wonder how the new cars with display screens hold up during the cold winter.

i specifically asked garmin about this. i have 5212's and was concerned. they stated that the actual operation temps were quite low (can't remember numbers) and storage could go lower than that. i guess it depends on location and how insulated the units are. mine are in an electronics pod (330) and i wrapped some bubble pack around them for some added dead air space. i'm also in nj. ron

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We're also getting cold that we haven't seen in a number of years. I've never done anything with the freshwater and haven't had a problem. Hope my luck holds out this time as well.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I have always left my electronics in the boat. Past system was a Garmin don't remember the model but it was a mapping gps/sounder and current is a Raymarine C120.

Where I store it goes below zero at least once during the winter and I have never had an issue. That said once it is in storage it never sees power until the temp is well above 40 degrees again. I do not know what would happen if you tried to power up when the unit is well below freezing.