Speaker placement on 180 Sportsman

mustang7nh

Reaction score
Want to install stereo and was wondering where is the best location for some speakers. I'm only looking to put a pair of 6.5" as I don't think you can find place for four. Thanks

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Perhaps there's room in the gunnel/coaming like we did in the 208:

speakers_rear2.jpg

In the helm area I used box speakers mounted to the hull liner:

speakers_R.jpg

Put a subwoofer on the port side, mounted in the seat base housing:

speaker_L.jpg

The head unit is a Sony marine, AM/FM CD, MP3, with a Bazooka 600watt amp that drives the sub. Sound output is fantastic - have about $500 in parts in it.

sony_head.jpg

I had a whole DIY written up on this but I guess the forum doesn't keep the old threads. They must be deleted after a time.

seaboarder

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I've got a 2004 180 with 4 speakers. Two 5" round with separate tweeters on both sides of boat positioned even with the console front seat. Person sitting in the console forward seat gets perfect stereo sound but often asks to have it turned down. This is usually the admiral making this request as the kids can't have it loud enough. On the starboard side of the console I've got a 10" subwoofer which is matched with the separates. In the stern below the two seats I've got 6x9 speakers on both sides. Under the console I've got a Clariion CD player with Sirius satellite and AM/FM. This plugs into a 200 watt amp mounted on the floor under the console as far back as you can go. I put stuff on top of the amp but try to get it some air since it really heats up. This system was already installed when I bought the boat so I can't give many installation tips. I can say that I'm happy with the sound and I was quite surprised to see ripples in the water at hight volume.

capeguy

Reaction score
I can attest to the ripples in the water when Seaborder gets it rockin...

Brian L

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm looking to do the same on my 180. I just contacted GW customer service and they sent me the following layout.

Sportsman%20Speaker%20layout.jpg

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have 6 1/2"s Aquatics between the two inspection plates on each side of the console. Easy to run the wires through the chases to the console. Head unit is a Sony. Plenty loud for me....