Spiders: How do you control them?

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey guys its been a while since I have posted...anyhow I have had my boat at the marina most of the summer and have had some great times...since this is the first time that I have kept it at a marina I have noticed an increasing number of spiders. There driving my nuts, I was not able to get to the boat for the last few weeks and went up to check on it and it was a spider infestation. There not getting into the cockpit since I have my drop down curtains but the rear cockpit is full of them...like easy hundreds....spider webs are few but there sacs are everywhere....

So the question is what can I do about this...a few searches tells me this is pretty common issue?
What are you guys doing, any tricks. I have heard of bounce sheets, water and vinigar solution, electic emittors, I am just trying to get a feel for what to do...also if you are thinking chemical treatments, I dont think its a good idea or if it is safe to use on fiberglass without doing damage or staining.

Lets here your thoughts.

gradytom

Reaction score
I agree, it's been a good year for spiders.

Hang a Hot Shot No Pest Strip in the enclosed cockpit when you leave the boat, take it down and put it in a ziplock bag and enjoy the boat, rehang it when you leave, should last all season.
I use one in the cabin and one in the cockpit.

Spraying the dock and lines with Home Defense works well until it rains.
Both available at Home Depot, ACE etc.

UpGrady

Reaction score
I spray my docklines and the dock every other week with Ortho Home Defense, also I wipe down my hardtop rails and other areas on the boat with the Ortho monthly. I usually have a web or two, but very minimal. I have gone thru these lengths after experiencing the type of infestation you are describing 6 years ago when I began docking at my current marina... so it works but you must be diligent. I have been searching for the strips and have been unable to find them around here.

seasick

Reaction score
UpGrady said:
I spray my docklines and the dock every other week with Ortho Home Defense, also I wipe down my hardtop rails and other areas on the boat with the Ortho monthly. I usually have a web or two, but very minimal. I have gone thru these lengths after experiencing the type of infestation you are describing 6 years ago when I began docking at my current marina... so it works but you must be diligent. I have been searching for the strips and have been unable to find them around here.
You can get the strips on Amazon and at some Ace hardware stores.