spirit 175 scuppers

salmonquest

Reaction score
I have a spirit with a 115hp yamaha. I bought it used. I assumd the motor was factory mounted. The real problem is that we salmon fish out of the boat and spend a lot of time in the back.There is continually an inch or so of water in the back. Is this normal for this boat or is the 115 at the limits of the weight for the transom? Has anyone else had this type of problem. I've considered building a small removeable deck, but I'm not sure how I would keep it in place. with the plugs in we are O.K. but any water we ship or if we want to clean off the blood. Things get a little soggy.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I had a 1992 Spirit 175 with a 1992 Johnson 90, weighing 320 lbs. I don't recall ever seeing water come in through the scuppers. Maybe the Yamaha 115 weighs a bit more?

Rob

salmonquest

Reaction score
back end.

Did you ever notice water coming in when you stood in the back when anchored or at the dock? Underway it clears beautifully.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
No - I don't recall seeing any significant amount of water coming in. And I think I would have noticed because when we were shopping for the next new Grady, I remember some reports about the 228 having some puddling, and I remember thinking that we don't have that now in our 175. I suggest giving Grady a call. I believe they would be honest and helpful.

If it is just a bit of puddling when you have two guys in the same corner, I wouldn't be too worried about it, but i would be annoyed with it.

Good luck.

Rob

Barlow46

Reaction score
My first Grady was the 17 spirit. I bought it used with an 85 Suzuki on it and repowered it a year later with a new 115 C series Yamaha. I did notice after the repower water entering the scruppers with a full tank of fuel and with me (200 lb) in the back. Nothing serious though, it drained back out when I moved back to the console seat.

Gradywolf

Reaction score
I have a 97 175 with a carbed 135 Merc and water does come through the scuppers on my boat if you stand in one of the corners. If you stand in the middle there is no water in the cockpit.