Splash Well Drains.

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
So I've seen some thread here about them, and my starboard one is bad, so I figured I'd do them both. So far the only place I can find the brass tube is on ebay and they are asking $44 each.... Is that a typical price for these?
starboardrain.jpgportdrain.jpg

TeK

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I went with plastic adjustable drains, sealed them and have been good for 10 yrs now.
Something like…

81xyEVqrF3L._AC_SX679_.jpg

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Moeller Marine makes a variety of sizes. Replaced all 6 of mine with original brass. Bought the tool used to flare the outside and sealed with 4200. Check their website. Check transom drain tube on Amazon.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you get the brass ones, don't forget you'll need the flaring tool, too.

Personally, I just went with the plastic ones. "Some years" down the road I'll notice they're getting brittle and replace them... which is easier than the brass ones. Check out TH Marine, as well - excellent company.

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
If you get the brass ones, don't forget you'll need the flaring tool, too.

Personally, I just went with the plastic ones. "Some years" down the road I'll notice they're getting brittle and replace them... which is easier than the brass ones. Check out TH Marine, as well - excellent company.
What sealant did you use with the plastic ones?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Best practice is to first seal the exposed plywood with epoxy or poly resin. "Freshen" the wood, though, by sanding it or re-drilling. Let it soak in and put more on. Do that 3 or 4 times. This GREATLY lessens the chance of water soaking into the core should it get past the sealant. I would Life Seal for this - but there are other sealants that would be just fine, too.

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
Best practice is to first seal the exposed plywood with epoxy or poly resin. "Freshen" the wood, though, by sanding it or re-drilling. Let it soak in and put more on. Do that 3 or 4 times. This GREATLY lessens the chance of water soaking into the core should it get past the sealant. I would Life Seal for this - but there are other sealants that would be just fine, too.
Is there a epoxy you would recommend. I have no experience with resin and the only epoxy I use is for rod building. Thanks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Any brand will work. But for your first go around, get the West System (NOTHING to do with West Marine, by the way... other than they may carry it). It's a nearly fool-proof system. Check out their website - they have extensive how-to's.