Splitting the difference

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 268 Islander and a 180 Sportsman and have decided to sell both and get either a 222 or a 257, though my wife would prefer a cabin. Looking for anyone that has experience with both - I'd be trailering including a once a year round trip from FL to NC. Trying to weigh the advance of the extra length vs more to tow.
Thanks
Greg

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have no experience with either of those boats, but I do have a lot of experience with the "Happiness Rule".

It's really basic. If she's happy, you may or may not be happy, but if she's not happy, then there is no way you will be happy.... :D

So, make sure your wife is happy..

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Boating rule when boating with wife:"Make sure SHE likes the boat more than you"(if that is possible).
As far as the 222, i think is THE best 22 foot c/c out there, period. The 257 is a great boat too, i have been in both(never trailered one) and i can say i liked the 222 ride a bit better, maybe i'm biased cause i really like center consoles, but if you and SHE likes the cabin style, you can't go wrong with the 257. Good luck and make sure she happy.

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
Boating rule when boating with wife:"Make sure SHE likes the boat more than you"(if that is possible).
As far as the 222, i think is THE best 22 foot c/c out there, period. The 257 is a great boat too, i have been in both(never trailered one) and i can say i liked the 222 ride a bit better, maybe i'm biased cause i really like center consoles, but if you and SHE likes the cabin style, you can't go wrong with the 257. Good luck and make sure she happy.

The 257 is the larger CC, the 258 Journey is the walkaround. If I was getting another cabin model, I'd give up on trailering and show her the 33 Express.

Bama96

Reaction score
Depends on if you want twins or not. I loved my 222 but really did not like the transom door. I did get water in the boat if you backed down on a fish. The 257 gives you twins and a full transom . I would go for a boat with twins if you fish offshore. But you really can't go wrong either way.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How about the 273, basically the same hull as your Islander but a CC?

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grog said:
How about the 273, basically the same hull as your Islander but a CC?

Don't want to tow that much on a 1,000 mile round trip.

Just had someone suggest swapping my 180 for a Bluewater 2350, hmmm.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've had both 22' Gradys and a 25' one also, although both were walk arounds. The 22 is much easier to tow, launch, manuever, etc., and is quicker and more economical, while the 25 was more comfortable, with more family type amenities (head, privacy, etc.), has room for more guests, storage, fishing, etc.. Perhaps if you consider somewhere in between the 22 and 25, you can get all the good features of both. A general rule of thumb is, when you go over 22'-23' boat with an 8' beam, it is time to consider getting a slip. Like I said, this is a GENERAL RULE OF THUMB.
Even if you go for the 22, if you are planning plenty of offshore fishing and cruising, go for a pair of twins, for peace of mind.
All that being said, I yield to earlier replies of whatever it takes to keep her happy. Mike

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
VeroWing said:
I've had both 22' Gradys and a 25' one also, although both were walk arounds. The 22 is much easier to tow, launch, manuever, etc., and is quicker and more economical, while the 25 was more comfortable, with more family type amenities (head, privacy, etc.), has room for more guests, storage, fishing, etc.. Perhaps if you consider somewhere in between the 22 and 25, you can get all the good features of both. A general rule of thumb is, when you go over 22'-23' boat with an 8' beam, it is time to consider getting a slip. Like I said, this is a GENERAL RULE OF THUMB.
Even if you go for the 22, if you are planning plenty of offshore fishing and cruising, go for a pair of twins, for peace of mind.
All that being said, I yield to earlier replies of whatever it takes to keep her happy. Mike

Twins are not an option on the 222. If she insists on a cabin, I'll stick with 2 boats and swap the 180 to NC and bring the Islander down here. Will just put a new trailer under it.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yeah, for towing, bigger is increasingly more difficult the bigger you get. And you need the right truck - a diesel is the only way to go. They are harder to launch as well - all of the factors that make it difficult are magified the larger you go. At some point, the ramp angle and condition become critical. Something to consider based on where you usually launch.

A CC is a wet boat out here. They are not nearly as poplular as they are in say, Florida, or where there is less wind and chop. We get an afternoon breeze pretty much every day, and it gets rough. An open boat is just an invitation for a soaking for the passengers.

EDIT: I re-read your original post and thought gee, I'd keep the Islander. :mrgreen:

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
ocnslr said:
I have no experience with either of those boats, but I do have a lot of experience with the "Happiness Rule".

It's really basic. If she's happy, you may or may not be happy, but if she's not happy, then there is no way you will be happy.... :D

So, make sure your wife is happy..

Yup, what he said! That is why I ended up with a 258 instead of the 257. Still, happy with the boat. It has, in my opinion, a more fishable transom than most and I haven't gone overboard working a sailfish around the boat yet ...

And, though I don't admit it at home, there are times when the cabin and the weather protection of the full glass windshield are appreciated.