Sportsman Trim Tabs

UpForIt

Reaction score
The factory installed the reservoir in the center console. That's precious strorage space on a 18' center console boat. Anyone see problems with installing it in the rear port battery locker?

Tabman

Reaction score
UpForIt said:
The factory installed the reservoir in the center console. That's precious strorage space on a 18' center console boat. Anyone see problems with installing it in the rear port battery locker?

UpForIt,

You can move the Hydraulic Power Unit (Pump) to the port battery locker as long as it is reasonably dry (I am sure it is). Try to keep the lengths of the hydraulic tubing for both sides about equal (you and make a coil an zip tie any excess).

You will need two new nut and ferrule fittings to reconnect the tubes to the HPU after you move it. We could send those to you at no charge to help you with the repositioning of the unit.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

seabob4

Reaction score
UpForIt said:

Oddly enough, most builders install the pump exactly where you want to relocate it to. Just make sure you don't mount it so high that you can't get the plexi cover off...I've seen that before!

Little trick I've learned over the years (Tom may not agree with this, but oh well...). When you install the pump mounting bracket, tighten the lower screws, but just barely snug up the upper screws. That way you can simply lift the pump out of the bracket to service it or add fluid...

Tabman

Reaction score
seabob4 said:
UpForIt said:

Oddly enough, most builders install the pump exactly where you want to relocate it to. Just make sure you don't mount it so high that you can't get the plexi cover off...I've seen that before!

Little trick I've learned over the years (Tom may not agree with this, but oh well...). When you install the pump mounting bracket, tighten the lower screws, but just barely snug up the upper screws. That way you can simply lift the pump out of the bracket to service it or add fluid...

Yup, it's OK to mount the bracket for the HPU the way SeaBob mentions. But don't worry too much about the screw on the Lexan cover if there is limited clearance. Just make sure there is clearance to lift the HPU out of its bracket and enough play in the tubing and wiring harness, that way you can lift the HPU out and then remove the Lexan cover screw.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

UpForIt

Reaction score
:wow Man I love this forum. Direct tech support from Bennet Marine and offer of free parts.
By the way, I not moving the HPU. This will be a new installation.

Only reason I haven't done it already is because I'm planning to upgrade to a 23 Fisherman next summer. But dang I don't wanna let the Sportsman go either. In reality a larger boat and a small flats boat would better suit my needs. But dang I don't wanna let the Sportsman go!

Don't get me wrong the Sportsman is an excellent boat, but I call it a "wanna be" boat, cause it handles shallows but not that shallow and it handles rough offshore but not that offshore. It needs more livewell space, a t-top, and trimtab mounted trolling motors. Then it'd be dang near perfect, just hard making the investment decision. What do y'all think. Keep her or let her go?