Spot light / radar mounting

Capt._Brian

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Question for you guys about mounting a durabrite mini on the hardtop of my Grady, I have my radar mounted on a wedge directly to the hard top. What’s my best option for mounting the light without interfering with the radar.

Thanks in advance

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I moved away from hardtop mounting because of the reflected light. I use a wireless remote on with a spot mounted on the bow rail. You can tap into the windlass for power. I only mount the light when I am going to use it so it should last a lot longer.

Fishtales

Reaction score
You could mount it under the hard top but it may get in the sightlines. Another option is up top and have a blind spot. A third, is put the radar on an arch. I did that but planned it from day1.

Capt._Brian

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
You could mount it under the hard top but it may get in the sightlines. Another option is up top and have a blind spot. A third, is put the radar on an arch. I did that but planned it from day1.

The radar arch is probably the best way but I hate the idea of drilling more holes in the hardtop

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You could mount the radar on an pedestal mount. That will get the radar up and over anything. Check out SeaView's website for some examples. I've even seen some where the pedestal comes with an integrated mounting plate for the spotlight, as well.

But, I agree with others about the glare when mounting a spotlight on a hardtop. You can put a shield under the spotlight, but in my experience, it's never good enough.

Without moving the radar, you could mount the spotlight at the bow, as mentioned. Either along with your LED light, or in place of.

Another option... scrap the remote spotlight idea and install LED lights on either side of the hardtop. I would think they would be thin enough not to cause an issue - or maybe mount them at the edge/under the hardtop. If needed, put an extra spacer under your wedge.

Capt._Brian

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thank you guys for the replies I found a pedestal arch to raise the radar. I ordered one of the pre sale durabrite minis to put up on the hard top I want it to be centered but it big it’s 8” tall. So I got a 10” pedestal should be perfect