SPOT LIGHTS /new 275

galaxie

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on spot light from those who use them. I know some of you do not. I am having my electronics package installed on new 275 this week. Originally we spec'd a spot to be installed on the hard top. Dealer called and espressed copncern about glare on bow when in use. I believe other new installations are showing a poor results in this set up. If we move the spot back on the hard top, we have to contend with the radar.
We are researching alternative set ups. There apparently is a spot that can be inserted to a pre set up sleeve in the bow when in need. One would use a remote to control. Best is the spot can be stowed when not in use.

Anyone have some knowledge and or advice on spots they can share. Anyone using the removable remote controlled spot mentioned?

Want to have a spot available but want to be smart about it.

thanks

OUTCAST

Reaction score
When using my spotlight, the glare from the bow is blinding, making it close to useless (see the mounting on radar thread.)

I think the logical answer is a 3-4 inch thin lip of plastic or similiar material around bottom and sides of light, making it more a spotlight, and less a "floodlight." (Haven't tried it yet.) Need a little more room to rotate it.

It's a common complaint-manufacturers should address it.
Capt. Bob

freddy063

Reaction score
I use a spot light never had any trouble with glare from the bow. I use it to check my path ahead of me when something just don't feel right , radar/need to look. But I have a custom hard top, build higher that I like but the guy that made it for me,saw that I was tall and added for head room. What is bow glare?

shadygradycapn

Reaction score
Bow glare is when the spotlight shines too much on the bow of the boat instead of the water in front of the boat - when that happens you can't see a thing, it's blinding and dangerous.

OUTCAST

Reaction score
Bow glare is lotsa white gelcoat up front lit up bigtime. Pretty much wipes out any "night vision" your eyes have gradually attenuated to. And, of course, you don't get that back immediately when you turn the light off. In many cases you're better off using a modest off-the-shelf hand-held flashlight than that gazillion candlepower spotlight that can burn a hole in a buoy at half a mile! :D Capt Bob

Afishinado

Reaction score
OUTCAST said:
Bow glare is lotsa white gelcoat up front lit up bigtime. Pretty much wipes out any "night vision" your eyes have gradually attenuated to. And, of course, you don't get that back immediately when you turn the light off. In many cases you're better off using a modest off-the-shelf hand-held flashlight than that gazillion candlepower spotlight that can burn a hole in a buoy at half a mile! :D Capt Bob

DITTO.... In fact Double DITTO
Buy a Sure Fire flashlight and holster. All the power you need to spot markers, etc. Way way way more convienent too.

jehines3

Reaction score
The best location IMO for a forward facing light is on the bow railing or the pulpit. I have seen a few in these locations and always thought how bad they looked but how good they probably worked. I think on top will always produce glare unless you get far enough back the the light could never shine on the bow. jh