Spring commissioning/diver

townvet

Reaction score
I left my boat in the water all winter, wrapped and winterized...snug as a bug.

I need to have a diver clean the bottom and change the 2 underwater zincs this spring.

Any idea what this may cost? Anyone have any diver work done and can clue me in on what I should be paying.

2011 360 express with some marine growth on the bottom paint.

Thanks

pablor

Reaction score
What about a quick haulout, powerwash while it is in the sling, change zincs and put back in the water? it seems faster and cheaper.

georgemjr

Reaction score
This doesn't answer your question, but I double the short haul, wash and wax, drop back in. You don't need to re-paint, assuming you have ablative paint, unless it is getting thin in areas. If not, pull it close to a sandy beach and scrub it with a brush yourself. The growth, at least here on Long Island, is almost never underneath, just where the sun hits it. The other spot I have difficulties with growth is inside of the intake grates for all salt water intakes. For that, I need to use a thin 90 degree pick. i put it up through the slits in the intake and scrape off the growth in there. This is important, as it can begin to restrict the water flow, which becomes critical for your AC system and generator, as this water flow cools them and if restricted, they can overheat. Whether diver or short haul, make sure the inside of the intake grates are checked. The zincs could be swapped out beach side as well, but don't need to be if there is still a sufficient amount of metal left.

pablor

Reaction score
georgemjr said:
This doesn't answer your question, but I double the short haul, wash and wax, drop back in. You don't need to re-paint, assuming you have ablative paint, unless it is getting thin in areas. If not, pull it close to a sandy beach and scrub it with a brush yourself. The growth, at least here on Long Island, is almost never underneath, just where the sun hits it. The other spot I have difficulties with growth is inside of the intake grates for all salt water intakes. For that, I need to use a thin 90 degree pick. i put it up through the slits in the intake and scrape off the growth in there. This is important, as it can begin to restrict the water flow, which becomes critical for your AC system and generator, as this water flow cools them and if restricted, they can overheat. Whether diver or short haul, make sure the inside of the intake grates are checked. The zincs could be swapped out beach side as well, but don't need to be if there is still a sufficient amount of metal left.

You are right. You can almost beach the boat (check tides) and do it yourself. Those drain grates ARE a pain as you can never get all of the growth out. My engine brackets and temp ducer gets messy too and the bow thruster as well...I do 2 haul outs a year. One with a full wax and the other just power wash, touch up bottom paint and go