spring work before you splash

bac0701

Reaction score
What do you guys plan on doing in addition to the regular stuff before you splash this spring in my 265 express. I've been making a little list on my iPad. Some stuff id like is setting up an additional VHF. I plan on getting two new antennas also to throw up there (most likely digital marine, or maybe one shakespeare and one digital). Big project hopefully in april will be to pull the motors in the driveway and repair the transom cap. Another thought if i have the time is pull most of the hardware,rub rail, deck plates to seal it. Also make the bilge spotless. How about you guys?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
For "spare vhf" antenna I went with a 3db shakespeare 3' stainless whip up on the hardtop... Indestructible. 3db gives wider lobes and more complete coverage, albeit shorter range than the 8' , 6db glass antenna.

My wish list includes adding a windlass ...or... adding power steering/autopilot .......and winning lottery so I can repower with 4 strokes....

Reactions: bac0701

bac0701

Reaction score
i keep reading all sorts of stuff on which VHF antenna to get. i read about the stainless though on an extension being an awesome piece I have to see what i have up there now but that was something i considered also. one 8ft glass the other like a 4ft glass or whip style.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I added a 2nd VHF, wanted something with integrated GPS as a back up to the networked system that everything else ran off. Went with a Standard Horizon Matrix GX2200 which also brings an AIS receiver, paired it with a Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XP 8'. Existing antenna on the original Quest VHF was also an 8' but either the gain is different or the new radio/antenna is just significantly better but I get significantly improved reception at distance now and as importantly for my OCD, the antennas match and the look on the hardtop is balanced. Was part of the overhead panel project from a couple years ago.

Two leading upgrade contenders for this spring are the addition of trim tab indicators, either just the Bennett EIC with indicators and auto-retract or maybe the full auto trim pro. Not convinced on the full auto option but investigating it. Also thinking hard about replacing the three engine gauges with Yamaha's 6YC display as part of an overall instrument and dash panel makeover that I've been planning.

Photo is from a powered bench test prior to installing. Used the existing door as a template for the starboard. Still hinged for access if I need to get in there but there are three large screws that go in at the base to both lock it down and take the weight strain off the hinges.IMG_0475.JPG

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My big spring project is to put my new auxiliary fuel tank back in and put the freshly cleaned and tested fuel injectors back in and then splash.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
tab indicators would be a good project. I rarely use the tabs because I can't keep them straight...

I've considered going to the EIC5000 for my tabs as they are just the regulars, all manual, no indicators.

Fishtales

Reaction score
To offer an alternative view. A second VHF - why? Unless you are going off shore (waaay offshore - why?). Get a hand held, an inflatable vest, s plb, an epirb and then a raft.
A second VHF is like wearing 2 pairs of under pants. Seriously, if you have the $ to burn don't do redundancy, find a parallel path. Just my 2 pennies.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
To offer an alternative view. A second VHF - why? Unless you are going off shore (waaay offshore - why?). Get a hand held, an inflatable vest, s plb, an epirb and then a raft.
A second VHF is like wearing 2 pairs of under pants. Seriously, if you have the $ to burn don't do redundancy, find a parallel path. Just my 2 pennies.

In my case, yes I go 110 miles east.
I bought a new VHF because I wanted one with built in gps and AIS receiver. The VHF that came with the boat had already used 2 MMSI numbers and (as it turned out) could not be reset with a new one for me.
The logical thing was to buy another antenna for $50 and keep the old VHF as a backup and as a CH 16 watch.
I do have a handheld, and PLB and EPIRB.

bac0701

Reaction score
Yeah last year I bumped up on safety gear to get further offshore. I’ll take redundancy on 50-70 mile offshore run. I have two 9” lowrance gen 3s and got the link 8 vhf, no real issues with it but I’ll take something proven over time as my backup with a new antenna and cable. I got my epirb, additional handheld and some other stuff also. Last I can think is my second vhf and a raft that I’m saving for now and I’ll be way more comfortable out there. I like your idea though on the other stuff.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Wow. Seems like a long way in small boat. Be careful out there.