Squeaky steering wheel

nrtbmw

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 2007 Seafarer 226. Love the boat but have been getting increased squeaking from the steering wheel. Can I WD40 the 1/4 inch or so between the wheel and housing?
Thanks

HTHM

Reaction score
Check to see if there is a loose nut in front of the wheel....
Seriously, pop the center cover of your steering wheel and see if the nut needs tightening.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I use silicone spray which doesn't stain as much and is not petroleum based. Use the long tube to get some into the shaft bushing. I recently found the Blaster brand of silicone spray that seems to have more and thicker silicone lubricant than some of the others. If you are concerned with staining, use "food grade" silicone spray. Some petroleum based sprays can deteriorate plastics and rubber.

mhinch

Reaction score
Go get yourself some Fluid Film from Lowe's Home Improvement, should be $9 or so a can. Use it on this and read up on it.....it's the same exact thing as woody wax for 1/4 the cost.
My wheel did the same thing and I had to clearance the steering shaft as it was fouling against the plastic cover. This on a 222 Fisherman .
Good luck and please report back.

robjonesflorida

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Go get yourself some Fluid Film from Lowe's Home Improvement, should be $9 or so a can. Use it on this and read up on it.....it's the same exact thing as woody wax for 1/4 the cost.
My wheel did the same thing and I had to clearance the steering shaft as it was fouling against the plastic cover. This on a 222 Fisherman .
Good luck and please report back.
Mhinch - Did you just spray Fluid Film behind the wheel or did you pull the wheel? I also have a 222 Fisherman and the wheel squeaks somewhat when turning. Thanks for your input.

mhinch

Reaction score
I removed the wheel when I couldn’t take it any more. The squeak was like fingernails on the chaulk board and when idling or even trolling it was maddening.
I used a small Dremel tool with a burr bit and ground off some of the plastic facia piece.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I removed the wheel when I couldn’t take it any more. The squeak was like fingernails on the chaulk board and when idling or even trolling it was maddening.
I used a small Dremel tool with a burr bit and ground off some of the plastic facia piece.
I’d use some marine grease maybe? The squeaking would drive me nuts too. good luck with it

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Had the same problem on my 330 -- in a fit of pique I WD40'd the heck out the area under the plastic covers to the tilt steering. Took quite a few tries, but I finally got the right spot and the squeak went away. Still not sure what was rubbing.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Believe it or not, I use Pam cooking spray on things like hinges that squeak after my wife schooled me. Works well.