Squishy Bow Hatches Fixed!

bjflink

Reaction score
Just bought a Grady 306, 2000 vintage and quickly noticed that the casting platform bow hatches had some flex to them and some slight cracking in the gelcoat around the edges as a result of them having give when people stepped on them. At some point in the boat's history, someone attempted a makeshift repair glassing in small strips of wood as a cross brace. My original plan was to take off the cross braces and put down a fresh sheet of 1708...that was until my screw driver easily poked through into the core, which led to a more involved project. The pictures below are a step by step, with the exception of a few miletstone photos I forgot to take. I'll take more detailed photos on Hatch #2 when I finish that one tonight.

Basic steps are as follows:

1. Cut out back of hatch
2. Dig out old waterlogged and flaky coring (not sure what it even was..never saw it used before. Looks like 3/16" MDF backing board...similar to what you see on the back of a media cabinet or used as peg board in a garage.
3. Sand/grind surface clean down to skin
4. Make core template from cardboard and use to cut new core (1/4" Coosa Bluewater 26...expensive stuff!)
5. Used thickened resin...mixed with fused silica...to bed Coosa to skin
6. Follow up with 2 layers of 1708. First layer was chopped mat side down. Second layer was chop side up so I can sand and finish smooth before gel coating.

Tonight I get to trim the edges off from the fiberglass overhang and temporarily install on casting platform....then jump on it and hope its solid!!

The hatch was 15lbs before doing anything to it, and that was with a soggy core. Will re-weigh the new layup tonigh and see where it ends up. Details to come!

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
NIce. What tool did you use to cut ?

bjflink

Reaction score
I used a Dremel with little cut off wheels to remove the back layer, and used the same tool to trim the raw edges after finishing my glass layup. I went through about 20 cut off wheels by the time I had finished the 3rd and final hatch!

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I was thinking a diamond blade on a 4 inch grinder..

bjflink

Reaction score
Had I had that tool on hand, I would have saved a lot of time and frustration. I pushed the Dremel harder than it was designed for. The final phase of my project will be to sand down the exposed mat layer and gelcoat. I need to source some good gas struts too to replace the old ones that are shot. Those things are pricey!