STA-BIL vs Yamalube?

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Does anybody use STA-BIL Marine Ethanol Treatment and Fuel Stabilizer? Or is Yamalube (incl Ring Free) the preferred fuel stabilizer/ additive?

Reason I ask is that Amazon has the 32 oz marine version currently on sale for $6.80. Below is the link. Believe Walmart matched it at $8. Debating if its worth using or not. I have an OX66 225

STA-BIL 22240 32 oz. 360 Marine Ethanol Treatment and Fuel Stabilizer, 32oz

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The link shows $8 for the quart. You're asking if spending 2-1/2 cents per gallon is a good idea? Seriously? Wait, never mind... I see you're from Jersey. I understand, now. :)

That's insanely low. Buy that before they realized they messed up on the price. Personally, I use Startron and RingFree. But definitely also use RingFree.

These kind of threads pop up every now and again - and if you do some searching, you'll find them and you can do some reading. They often end up like a automotive forum "which oil is best". Do yourself a favor and don't think overthink it. Use whichever additives (brand) you want and just go boating.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the quick responses. I went ahead and bought a couple on “subscribe and save”...Hopefully, they eventually come!

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ringfree is not a stabilizer. If you use Ringfree for deposit control you still need to use a fuel stabilizer. If you use StaBil, you should still use Ringfree for deposit control. Particularly for a 2-stroke.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Chevron Techron Marine is a new option....and for less than Ring-Free.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Chevron Techron Marine is a new option....and for less than Ring-Free.
I've been wondering that for some time. I've had such good success with RF (O2 sensor and "thimble" are VERY clean, for example), though, that I'm reluctant to try it until I find out some definitive information. Or, maybe, I should say I'm "a fraidy cat"... ;)

Fishtales

Reaction score
Can double the ring free early in the season for a tank if the boat has been sitting.

seasick

Reaction score
When Ring Free's cost exceeded $50 a quart, I started to try other options. To be honest, my motor is 19 years old and at this point, I don't know if it is all that critical what carbon treatment I use.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The original Ringfree was made by a Chevron subsidiary and the active ingredient was Techron. I would not hesitate for a minute to use the new Techron Marine since it is a proven technology from an established company. It contains both Techron and a fuel stabilizer with a treat rate of 1 oz per 10 gallons. It's $72.93 for 128 oz on Amazon. That treats 1,280 gallons of fuel.

Chevron Techron Marine

I'm going to switch over as soon as my current case of Ringfree runs out.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
JIP40 and I split a case of Ring Free once a year. It's about $35/qt. when we buy a case from DOMO. In the small bottles, Amazon has Techron Marine at $11/for 10 oz, so the price is essentially the same.

That said, a gallon of Techron is $73 and would treat 1280 gallons of fuel. The same amount of Ring Free would be around $140

That said....I also swear by PRI-G which seems to only be available on Amazon. That combination has been good to me for years.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Stabilizer at layup is the need, rest of time piece of mind. Ringfree piece of mind and 1/2 your wallet to Yamaha!

Reactions: CEJ

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Interesting on the Chevron. Gonna look into that a little more.

If I had a 4-stroke, I wouldn't be using Ringfree. But with a 2-stroke, I know it is helpful. I'm basing this on how clean my VST tank/filter/fuel (Startron helps there, of course, too) is, along with the O2 sensor and O2 "barbell" joint thingy. I once stopped in a Yamaha dealer with it and the O2 sensor to make sure I got the correct gasket. The svc manager looked at the items and the first thing he said was "You must use Ringfree". He said there is a huge difference between engines that regularly see RF and those that don't.

Concerning stabilizer... If I went through fuel as fast as I went through it in a car, I wouldn't worry about it. But I don't - gas goes bad too quickly now a days. Besides, it does (supposed to anyways) help keep things clean in the fuel system.