Stability of old hulls

LarryO

Reaction score
Have an 89 overnighter. Trimtabs help but ride is bumpy in the Delaware Bay chop. Would I sacrifice the
stability it has when drifting which is great if I upgraded to a SV2 hull on a 20 footer. I really don't want to be rocking around when fishing. I have a ridiculous amount of money in this boat. Was told I would have no cruising issues which wasn't true. Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
LarryO said:
Have an 89 overnighter. Trimtabs help but ride is bumpy in the Delaware Bay chop. Would I sacrifice the
stability it has when drifting which is great if I upgraded to a SV2 hull on a 20 footer. I really don't want to e rocking around when fishing. I have a ridiculous amount of money in this boat. Was told I would have no cruising issues which wasn't true. Thanks

I have a 20 ft SV2 hull and it can pound in rough seas or heavy chop. I don't mind the chop but the rolling when drifting can be uncomfortable. It all boils down to two parameters with these kinds of hull; beam and displacement (weight). The heavier, the more stable in my opinion and the wider the beam the less tendency to roll. So will a upgrade to SV2 hull in the same length category make a big difference? I don't think so in general.When plowing into rough seas, the SV2 does make a difference but not so much with rolling.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The SV2 hull is very different from the older design when drifting. The old 204C was about the most stable 20 footer ever made for drifting and you have probably been spoiled. It will drift sideway in a current so that everybody can fish over one side. The reverse chine extends far forward toward the bow, which accounts for almost tri-hull stability. The SV2 drifts bow forward down wind, so the lines mostly go over the stern. It rocks more, but not more than a typical deep V.

The ride of the SV2 is much softer and drier than the older design and the hull doesn't start to pound until the chop gets to almost 3 ft. But a 20 ft hull is always going to have limitations. You have to tweak the tabs, speed, and trim angle of the motor to get the optimal ride, but it is much improved over the old design. On the other hand, the low speed handling of the SV2 hull is pretty poor. A lot of wander and poor docking characteristics are typical.

seasick

Reaction score
Doc Stressor said:
The SV2 hull is very different from the older design when drifting. The old 204C was about the most stable 20 footer ever made for drifting and you have probably been spoiled. It will drift sideway in a current so that everybody can fish over one side. The reverse chine extends far forward toward the bow, which accounts for almost tri-hull stability. The SV2 drifts bow forward down wind, so the lines mostly go over the stern. It rocks more, but not more than a typical deep V.

The ride of the SV2 is much softer and drier than the older design and the hull doesn't start to pound until the chop gets to almost 3 ft. But a 20 ft hull is always going to have limitations. You have to tweak the tabs, speed, and trim angle of the motor to get the optimal ride, but it is much improved over the old design. On the other hand, the low speed handling of the SV2 hull is pretty poor. A lot of wander and poor docking characteristics are typical.

Right on the money on the drifting at low speeds and tough to master docking characteristics. I am glad you mentioned it because I thought it was me all these years. One big contributor to the handling issues is that the center of rotation of the hull seems to be way back towards the stern so that small movements at the stern turn into big side to side movements at the bow. One thing the handling is good for is learning the tricks of spring lines and boat hooks. The worst scenario for me when docking is strong winds on the bow or slightly off the center-line. The hull just wants to rotate.

A funny thing about the pounding. The boat can tale a lot more pounding that I can. When the seas are rough, I usually stand since it is often painful in the spine to sit and get beat up.
Another thing I learned quickly (OK, it took two lessons) was when the boat is pounding, do not bend over to get closer to the plotter to read it. Your face will get quickly acquainted with the steering wheel!

Safe boating!

LarryO

Reaction score
I feel a lot better about my boat now. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. As for being spoiled I have to agree. When somebody told me about bouncing up and down when drifting and fishing on his deep vee ( not a Grady ) I can honestly say I had no idea what he was talking about.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The docking behavior of the SV2 hull, at least my 226, seems to defy the laws of physics. Boats generally fall into 2 different categories when docking. Say you're pulling up to a dock on the starboard side. If you ease into the dock at a 20 degree of so angle, cut the helm hard to the starboard and slow the boat by putting the engine in reverse, the boat will either tuck the stern into the dock nicely (like the older Grady hulls) or the bow will swing out (like many modified Vs with little forward deadrise). My SV2 is different. During the same docking maneuver, both the bow and stern pull away from the dock. The boat will also pivot to an unpredictable extent that seems to be determined by the wind and current.

The best that I can do is to pull in parallel to the dock as close as I can and reverse the engine without turning the wheel to stop headway. Unless there is no wind or current, a boat hook or line is often necessary to bring the boat in.

We have a bait barge that sets up in Homosassa Bay and the woman who runs it hates me after smacking into her so many times. She now makes me stop the boat boat up wind from her and drift in, which is still tricky because the bow turns downwind. I have 57 years of boating experience with all types of hulls and I have not been able to figure out my 226 after 6 years of ownership. I love the boat, but the low speed handling drives me crazy when docking or when running into a head sea at low speed while setting up to anchor at a fishing waypoint.

BTW, the SV2 hull does not rock while drifting because it drifts with the bow facing downwind. If you are only fishing 2 people you will be fine. Fish one on each side with the lines going toward the stern.

seasick

Reaction score
Doc Stressor said:
The docking behavior of the SV2 hull, at least my 226, seems to defy the laws of physics. Boats generally fall into 2 different categories when docking. Say you're pulling up to a dock on the starboard side. If you ease into the dock at a 20 degree of so angle, cut the helm hard to the starboard and slow the boat by putting the engine in reverse, the boat will either tuck the stern into the dock nicely (like the older Grady hulls) or the bow will swing out (like many modified Vs with little forward deadrise). My SV2 is different. During the same docking maneuver, both the bow and stern pull away from the dock. The boat will also pivot to an unpredictable extent that seems to be determined by the wind and current.

The best that I can do is to pull in parallel to the dock as close as I can and reverse the engine without turning the wheel to stop headway. Unless there is no wind or current, a boat hook or line is often necessary to bring the boat in.

We have a bait barge that sets up in Homosassa Bay and the woman who runs it hates me after smacking into her so many times. She now makes me stop the boat boat up wind from her and drift in, which is still tricky because the bow turns downwind. I have 57 years of boating experience with all types of hulls and I have not been able to figure out my 226 after 6 years of ownership. I love the boat, but the low speed handling drives me crazy when docking or when running into a head sea at low speed while setting up to anchor at a fishing waypoint.

BTW, the SV2 hull does not rock while drifting because it drifts with the bow facing downwind. If you are only fishing 2 people you will be fine. Fish one on each side with the lines going toward the stern.

Doc,
You made my day! I thought it was me all these years.
Thanks
Seasick.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Larry I have the same hull, an '87 with a big outboard. Its fast as hell on smoother water but on rough seas I have to run slower, almost like a displacement hull (barely on plane). Took awhile before I got it through my head the boat is 20 not 30'. I'll tell you what though it may not be fast in the rough stuff but its safe and handles it a lot better than a lot of my friends boats some being 25' of a different brand. It'll slice right through a boat wake on the river at speed where my Bayliner would have knocked my teeth out if I had tried that.
So everything has its limitations, it may not ride like a bigger Grady but when it gets rough and you may have to slow down you'll know that little Overnighter will get you home.
Mike.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Doc,
That lady is still selling bait out there? I got some bait from her in 2002 when I took my 192 over to Homasssa .

I can't say I perfected the handling of the SV2 around the dock, but I am getting pretty good at it. I find I need to come in at an angle and as I approach the dock within 2 boat links I take it out of gear and drift into the dock . Then as the bow gets within 10 feet or so, I turn the wheel so the motor will pull the stern in and give it some power in reverse. It often brings the boat in.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Bonnie the Bait Lady's house was flooded by Hurricane Hermine and she hasn't been out since the storm. Her barge made it through OK. Some of the locals have been contributing help her out. Hopefully, she'll be back out there soon.