Stain removal from gel coat

Reaction score
Over the years my hull has developed some staining around the water line especially near the stern. The affected areas are tinted a little brown and I would really like to clean them up and get the hull looking new again. There are also some grey marks on the hull where the boat has rubbed up against tires while moored temporarily against a few community docks.

I've been told a good cleaner wax product should solve these problems but I'm curious whether anyone has a better solution or has any recomendations for what product to use and how.

Another issue is what product could be used to recondition the rub rails that run all the way around the boat?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

gradytom

Reaction score
If the stain is organic, start with Mary Kate Easy On Off.
Its an acid wash product so be careful with it.
I put it in an old windex spray bottle and wear gloves, don't inhale the mist and keep it off stainless hardware. Throw out the bottle when finished.
Rinse well.
Mary Kate also sells a blue gel version but I like the liquid based better.
Then go after he area with a good cleaner/wax product, followed by a final wax.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Slimy Grimy will also take care of the stains. It used to be available at Boater's World. You can purchase it directly from the company on their website.

The On/Off products work well also. They're just a more caustic way to clean. Gradytom is correct about the spray and the fumes. A windy day isn't a good time to use this stuff.

Both of these will remove the organic stains but I think a good cleaner/wax is going to be needed to remove the tire marks.

freddy063

Reaction score
I use on/ off cleans it all, wax when done, best stuff no work, but the waxing after. On the rub rail I use the same stuff that is used on my inflatable boat 505 something spray. might be 303 can't find it right now. And welcome

gradytom

Reaction score
Acetone on a rag will clean up the rub rail, followed by Formula 303 protectant. I Stay away from Armorall, it only looks nice for about an hour..