STAMAS VS GRADY WHITE

IFS_88

Reaction score
HELLO I AM JUST ABOUT TO BUY A USED BOAT, AND I THINK THE PRFECT SIZE FOR ME IS 26-28 FOOR LONG. THE 2 BOATS I THINK WILL SATISFY ME THE ARE: STAMAS 27 EXPRESS AND THE GRADY WHITE 265 EXPRESS. I AM VERY CONFUSE IN MAKING MY FINAL DESCITION SO PLEASE HELP TO MAKE MY FINAL AND CORRECT CHOICE.

THANK YOU :D

richie rich

Reaction score
GW204 is right...............I would ask the same question on the Stamos forum to balance things out...

seriously...take both boats out for a test ride...see the pros and cons according to your personal tatses and then make a decision..

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you don't want an aft berth and lean more towards fishing, go with the 265. It has a little deeper V, and more fuel capacity. Either boat wouldn't be a bad choice.

Thehulltruth has some good members but there's also a lot of idiots. You have to weed through the BS to get useful info.

Drifter80

Reaction score
Grog said:
Thehulltruth has some good members but there's also a lot of idiots. You have to weed through the BS to get useful info.
Yeah, isn’t that the truth! The internet is great for idiot advice givers because there are zero repercussions. I deal with it on a daily basis. “I ordered this because carwizardguy02 said it would fix my car and it didn’t.”
Slightly back on topic, I dont know anything about Stamos boats but I am very very happy with the quality of my Grady White. I couldn't see switching to another brand unless I want a totally different type of boat.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I don't know much about the Stamas 27 (they look pretty nice), but I came within a breath of buying a Stamas 29. I spent a considerable amount of time on one, talked with several owners, and looked at a couple of them while I was boat shopping last time. We were also looking at the Grady Whites.

The Stamas was roomier in the cabin; had nice amenities; has under-the-cockpit storage room, and a nice helm. Pretty much the entire cockpit deck is hinged, and lifts up for under-deck access to systems, tanks, and the storage locker. I liked that.

She handles well, and rides decent, although I'd still give the nod to the Grady in ride comfort, in most condition. The overall feel of the Grady seemed more solid, although the Stamas hull is solid as a rock. But other things rattled and felt loose. I think Grady's hardware is better, and hand-holds are everywhere you need 'em, and toe-rails are better for off-shore fishing.

In the end, buy the one that you like the best. Either is an excellent choice that I think you'd be happy with. BTW, my wife like the Grady better.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Get the Grady and i'm not biased :wink:
Both boats are known for their long time running hulls and durability. Old Stamas were built like a tank. I took a ride once in a 29 c/c Tarpon with outboards, boat felt very solid and did not rock and roll at anchor. Felt like a very solid boat, the only thing i did not like was the banging was doing in a short 2 foot chop. On the other hand when i rode once in a 265(was looking to buy one used before i buy the '06 Bimini), felt also very solid and was tested in the bay with a solid 2 maybe 3 foot chop and did great. I liked the fit and finish on the Grady much better allthough the Tarpon had more storage space in the floor, but i really don't like all those gaps between the hatches and the floor(they tend to fill with dirt, bait and it's hard to clean). The Grady 265 i think was rocking a little more than the Tarpon though, so i went with the beamier Bimini back then, no gaps and no rock and roll and better fittings and finish. Good luck, and make sure, like others said, test both boats and see which one YOU like the most, get a survey on either/any boat you pick.

dlevitt

Reaction score
You've got a very touch choice to make as they are both excellent boats. I recently sold my 22' Grady and purchased a '93 Stamsa Liberty 288. This is the same hull as their current 31', which has an 11'2" beam.

I can tell you that the Stamas is a very solid boat and meets my family's needs. Even after 16 years, the survey showed that the boat was still solid and well built. Having said that, I believe that it is a modified V hull which should be more stable at anchor and drift, but pound just a bit more than a deep V in choppy seas. Also, my boat only has a 200 gallon fuel tank, so my range is "limited". I believe the 265 has more fuel capacity.

I've never been on the Grady 265, so I will defer to others on that boat. However, everyone I've spoken with regarding the 265 loves it. It is a great fishing boat with decent range and comfort.

The best advice I can give you, which isn't worth much..., is to spend some time on both and then make your decision. It's like deciding on vanilla or chocolate. Both are really good. They are just different.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Both boats are built very well, but they will be hard to compare in all honesty, they are very very different. The 265 is a big boat for its size, but measures 25'9" from transom to tip of the bow...not including pulpit, the stamas is much bigger. The stamas will be more boat, but much of that is in the cabin, the cockpits are similar in size, but the Grady does not have the euro transom, which for fishing can be a pain...personally I hate them and will never buy a eurotransom boat, I will go diesels when I jump up in size, or IPS powered. Both boat brands have great customer service and use great qualitty materials to build there boats. The beam on boat boats are about the same. The helm is a huge difference, the Grady has a lot more room to get your crew or family out of the elements as well as comfortable while running around, it is also nice to have everyone together when making long runs instead of people spread throughout the boat, too far away to converse without yelling. The Grady holds more fuel, if you run offshore that might be something to consider, if you stay close to shore it matters less. As far as weight, they are close enough so that will have little effect on the decision, fuel burn should be similar for both, although the stamas being longer at the waterline does help it a little. The cabin on the stamas does offer a smaller under deck berth which is nice, but typically is only used for storage or for smaller kids. The v berth on the 265 is longer and less cramped for adults. The table in the stamas is nice, but from my experience is probably the least used feature in a cabin this size.

As far as ride, Stamas's typically have less deadrise aft, I have been on a few 27 and 29 tarpons, and my 265 had a better ride, the Stamas was solid, but had more hull slap from waves and had a different feel when hitting waves. This is not to say it did not ride well, but I personally perfer the 265 ride more. After staing this, the 265 being shorter and wide, will make it rock a little more on the drift, but only a slight bit.

As far as ride, you need to test both on the water and get a feel for both, neither boat uis a bad boat, they just offer 2 different things. The Stamas has 2 ft aft that personally I find to be wasted space, having fish boxes and a large well is a nightmare for hardcore fishermen, especially if you fish for bigger fighting fish or pelagics. If you anchor when fishing, the eurotransom poses a big issue, if you troll more you will be boating a fish along the side anyways and it matters less. Getting on a 265 is a little tougher then on the stamas with the eurotransom, but with a swim platform the 265 is not bad getting on. Think about the helm, how many guys do you go out with, do you want them protected from the elements and comfortable, or spread out, in bad weather do you want a cramped helm with guys standing or seats for all. Think aboyut the view from the center helm vs a stbd side helm, the center helm is a dream, line of sight makes manuveuring a dream, and makes the boat feel smaller when running and docking, much easier to manage. Do you need more cabin space or staorage, if so the stamas might suit this need better. The stamas does have a walk around which makes passage to the bow easier, but if you rarely use it then your just losing cabin space inside for no real gain. the 265 is not difficult going forward, but not as easy as a true walkaround.

My advice.....sit on both boats, in the same day if possible, and make a list of likes and dislikes and see which list suits your needs better, then take that one for a sea trial, if the ride is what you want, then your decision should be easy. If your still stuck between both, sea trial both if possible. As a side note, as Tim said, a ahrdtop is a big factor also, a hrdtop on a boat this size should be standard, not having one means a big upgrade if you add one and a bit invested down the road. I could not imagine owning a boat this size and not having one, you will lose electronics boxes which on a boat this size you will need to have a full array of electronics. A bimini in this size boat is somewhat silly to have, you lose the ability to have rod storage off it, a t bag for life jackets and such, a place to mount your electronics antennas out of the way, as well as as high as possible to utilize their full potential, and a hardtop is a big big benefit to resale value down the road.