stanky head! wheres leak?

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
So my 05 Marlins head gets pretty foul after its flushed. I don't use it but the ladies do and apparently someone broke rule number one with number two. Or so it smells that way. I crawled under the mid birth and watched the holding tank as the toilet was flushed and noticed a slight leak around the pump on top. Not enough to keep the system from losing vacuum but maybe enough to release some gas when flushed? There was just a slight amount of fluid/moisture in the area as well. Anyone experience something like this and know the solution or have an other possibility? The girls will appreciate it!
Thanks
Nick

izzy

Reaction score
Do you perform required service?

First you need to add about 1-2 pints of vinigar and dry pump it into the system and let stand for 24 hours, longer will not hurt anything
Yearly replacement off pump bellow gasket also required, no big deal to replace

I bet that sovles your problem

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Pump bellow gasket sounds like what I need. Pardon my ignorance but, what's the best way to order the right one and replace that rascal? Thanks
Nick

izzy

Reaction score
Your local marine store should have it or changer it, just give them the name of manufacturer, my local store in NJ (Lockwood marine) had it on the shelf, west probably does too
The vinigar treatment should happen also as specified by manufacturer

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
Be sure your vent is not plugged. If it can't vent, when you flush, pressure forces stuff out other places.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
No one carried the gaskets so west marine ordered it. Hope to get to it this weekend.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Just wanted to update this thread, better late than never. Turned out to be just a clogged vent as mentioned above. A mudd dobber got in there and clogged it good.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I may have had the same problem and did not realize it. We don't use the toilet on a regular basis, but whenever it was flushed the smell was unbelievable (not in the cabin but in the cockpit area, regardless of #1 or #2). This season, I noticed this year there is no smell. I suspect the vent may have been clogged and is now clear? I'll investigate this weekend if I get a few minutes. I think I'll do the vinegar trick as well, thanks for the advise.

Wally World

Reaction score
Not to highjack the thread but in my 330 I noticed my vacume will continue to pump and never stop after flushing due to an air leak somewhere. any suggestions where to look or get at the area? Where do I access the vent? or the gasket you guys are talking about?