Starboard capacity

brown6512000

Reaction score
Question: how much weight would 3/4in starboard hold (measurements 32''x18'')? I am considering replacing a deck hatch door that is currently very weak. major design flaw of the 1981 GW Dolphin. the door would rest on a 2in lip boarding the entire door. i would like the replacement to have minimal flex. thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Deck hatches that develop soft spots or weakened cores are not uncommon. I can't speak for your boat, but in 99% of the cases it's not a design flaw. Most times it's due to a combination of owner neglect (not resealing hinges or deck plates on a regular basis) or simply due to it being 35 years old. Moisture has a w ay of finding it's way into tight spots!

Starboard is not structural. It would need to be braced and reinforced quite a bit.

Rebuilding a deck hatch is simple and retains the normal "look" of the floor. Even more so since it can be removed from the boat to do it. It does take some know-how, but it's not "hard" to do. You could even take the piece to a local glass guy and they can rebuild it for you. Composite cores are an option.

freddy063

Reaction score
I replace my back live well cover with 1/2 and I stand on it all the time I weight 200lbs. it handles it no problem.I'm not sure what hatch your wanting to replace, But I'm happy with what I replaces.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
freddy063 said:
I replace my back live well cover with 1/2 and I stand on it all the time I weight 200lbs. it handles it no problem.I'm not sure what hatch your wanting to replace, But I'm happy with what I replaces.

Look at the size hatch he listed. It's pretty big to use starboard.

You could run some glass or PVC angle or square tube underneath, but it would have to be through bolted to be secure enough. That would give it enough structure, though. But it would make it look like the boat belongs parked in the front yard, with waist high grass and next to two old Fords and a 1970's-era couch.