STARBOARD DECK DRAINS 94 AND UP SAILFISH

LOBSTERGUTTS

Reaction score
ANY ONE WHO HAS A 1994 AND UP SAILFISH WITH THE "NEWER" STYLE TRANSOM, WITH THE DOOR, NEEDS TO CHECK OUT THEIR DECK DRAINS, THE STEEL REINFORCED BLACK HOSE GETS NO SUNLIGHT OR OZONE BUT ROTS AND DISINTERGRATES, IT'S LIKE HAVING A HOLE IN THE SIDE OF YOUR BOAT! OK NEXT QUESTION, HOW ARE YOU GOING TO INSPECT IT? THERE IS NO ACCESS ON THE STARBOARD SIDE AT ALL, AND IT'S NOT EASY BUT HELL ON THE PORT. SO ALL YOU POLLY ANNA"S AT THE HELM OF YOUR SPORTBRIDGE BEWARE. ALL THE GPS'S AND MARTINI'S IN THE WORLD WON'T MAKE IT GO AWAY. IT'S AN EVER PRESENT DANGER AT THE BOAT SLIP, OR AT SEA.--------- SO NOW YOU CAN FIGURE THIS ONE OUT AND LET ME KNOW, WHAT DO YOU DO,HOW DO YOU DO IT. WHAT ENGINEER THOUGHT THIS ONE UP, FOR THE PRICE OF THE BOAT IT SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED.

johnnyboy

Reaction score
Im very interested in what your talking about it, if its every boat not only yours. Post some pics if you can. Thanks

LOBSTERGUTTS

Reaction score
YOU CAN'T GET PICTURES BECAUSE YOU CAN'T FIND THEM , IT'S UNDER THE DECK, THE DECK IS PLACED ON TOP OF THE HULL AT THE FACTORY, TO REPLACE THEM OR INSPECT THEM THE FACTORY WANTS YOU (THE GUY WHO SPENT ALL THE MONEY ) TO CUT A HOLE AND INSTALL A CIRCULAR INSPECTION PLATE.

LOBSTERGUTTS

Reaction score
Ok stand up by your steering wheel, look back on either rear side of the deck, you should see two deck drains on each corner.
These deck drains connect to scuppers on the outside of the hull, either plastic or stainless steel.
Between the floor drain and the outside scupper is a hose, can you see it? is there an inspection plate, access door, some compartment that may allow you to see it?
If not why not?

Sea Shift

Reaction score
Are you talking about the scupper hose?

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just had my deck hatches up. Got clear access to port side at the deck drain and the scupper and did eyeball the hose. Those hoses are like fuel fill hoses. Can't see anything happening to them in my lifetime.

reelserious

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I'm guessing the old "lobstergutts" just came to visit us from THT. Either way....that is quite an all cap rant.

Late Flash..... Having said the above, I went over to THT for my usual read after leaving here and saw a post regarding the 232 Gulfstream.One guy was asking thoughts on an older 232 and one of the replies was from an owner who had done a complete redo of his (he liked his 232) and showed a few pics of the drain hoses in question. Not a pretty sight. I would assume they are the same hoses on a Sailfish.......maybe we should be concerned. Here is a link to the post http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/412851-232-grady-gulfstream-2.html.

I believe I may owe old Lobstergutts an apology.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi
What year is your boat? The two discussed are 17 and 22 year old boats. Anyone that drops a boat of that vintage in the water without a full inspection is taking a big risk. I don't know the design of the aft (built in seat, panel access etc) but Grady usually provides access to the thru hulls, many have been changed here. My 282 was a 2002' and I recall getting access under the deck either through the aft molded in seat or by removing the deck floor sections.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fishtales said:
Hi
What year is your boat? The two discussed are 17 and 22 year old boats. Anyone that drops a boat of that vintage in the water without a full inspection is taking a big risk. I don't know the design of the aft (built in seat, panel access etc) but Grady usually provides access to the thru hulls, many have been changed here. My 282 was a 2002' and I recall getting access under the deck either through the aft molded in seat or by removing the deck floor sections.

Negative on my 272. I see no way to get to the stbd drain/scupper hose other than cutting in an inspection plate. Port looks just fine, like new. I've never seen a hose in that bad of condition as shown in the link. I can't see how it could happened without some kind of "influence".

richie rich

Reaction score
Where are the batteries on that year/model Saifish? On the older models you have access by removing the batteries in the transom boxes and you can reach both sides of the hose......those hoses definitely rot out over time....you should get 10+ years out of the good ones, but I check mine every season...

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I inspected mine with a camera like the ones you look into walls. I have a sailfish and you can also gain access (but it is tight) under the stern bench seat. I'm not sure about replacing them though. That could be really really tough to do.

LOBSTERGUTTS

Reaction score
sorry about the caps guys i wasn't in a rant. i didn't have time to get back to you all as i was getting a liver transplant, i can't wait to get back drinkin again, but aside from that i contacted grady white and they said they didn't change the design of the sailfish until 2008 or when the model was discontinued. earlier models had acess but the side by the transom door needed to have a hole cut on the vertical surface behind the door to see them, not the floor, as far as replacing the hose it would be tight but possible, and the floor drain replacement was probably not going to happen unless more cutting and then reglassing. the wire reinforced hose was not used in later models because of the wire and salt water problems they went to the nonreinforced, adding i probally had put some deck cleaner or something that had created the problem. they said they would be there for any help they could provide in answering any further questions. i called 3 dealers and none of them personally had done the replacement, knew it had been done buy others and perhaps required a glass man. the final conclusion throught this dilema was to put an inspection plate perhaps 8x12 as the concensus was a six inch pie plate would not give enough room and be careful, take the old hose off and leave the original floor drains in but changin the thruhull scuppers could be done.

Reactions: Paul Foss

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ever try replacing that wire reinforced hose? Ain't no picnic. On metal fittings you can heat it up with a heat gun. I would hazard a guess at how to get them off off in a tough install like that.

richie rich

Reaction score
I use the Trident Flex Marine wet exhaust water - reinforced hose..it takes a long time to rust out.....some use the white sanitary hose, but I don't trust it for scupper/deck drains...this other stuff is heavy duty..

I would start with the smallest hole possible to do the job...and if you need more room, cut to the next size pie hole or access hatch available...shouldn't need a glass guy...just some good cutting tools and maybe a little epoxy resin to seal the edges of the cut...then just install the new cover....and if you have questions about where to cut...take a picture of the intended area and send it to GW engineers/CS...sounds like they're willing to help out with the project...

ahill

Reaction score
I was told by a supplier that the hose is called "10 year hose"
because that is its projected life.

ahill

Reaction score
My '98 272 has the 10 year hoses on all thru hulls.
I always see the head intake & discharge when I open the seacocks.
I also check the hoses on the baitwell & wash down pump periodically. Those are in the same environment as the scupper hoses and show no signs of deterioration.
I close all seacocks on leaving the boat.
I do keep my charger on all the time to power the bilge pumps if there is a leak.
Marina personnel walk the docks several times a day looking for problems and keep a boat by boat log. They call the owner if they notice a problem & deploy their own pumps when necessary.
Scupper hoses, knock on wood.
On a separate note for those that trailer, close your seacocks before pulling out to maintan prime for your various pumps.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My hoses look brand new also. That's why I don't think we're hearing the rest of the story. Hoses in the picture were crumbling. I would expect to see that if the hoses were used as exhaust hoses.

TBone

Reaction score
Mine rotted out on my 94 sailfish, when it goes water pours into your hull while under way. Good idea to have wooden hull plugs in your box of different sizes, i did thank God. I replaced mine with that expensive blue silicone hose, cant remeber the name right now but it was like $300 for 12 feet. I think its good for 20+years? The starboard side is impossible to get at with out an access hole, I did mine while replacing my transom.