Starboard engine piss port

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Ok dropped in boat today. Started right up (yeah). Port engine pissing a nice stream, starboard not so much (boo). Not sure when impeller last changed on Starboard engine but Port was changed by previous owner due to other maintenance items. Is there anything to check before pulling boat (marina is next to ramp) and replacing the water pump impeller? Is it something doable by me as backlog for deploying boats is long? Replacement kit or specific pieces?

Watch videos and looks ok to do as have tools and whereabouts.

love my 232, just not the engines right now.

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Yes get a thin wire and try clearing the port sometimes salt gets built up if not flushed after use

seasick

Reaction score
If possible, connect a hose to the flush connection. If you have decent water pressure and flow, you should see a pee stream (engine not running) if you do, the port is not blocked and most likely the pump needs replacing. Since you don't know what was changed and when, get a complete kit with housing. Look up videos on pump replacement. To remove the lower unit, there is a bolt underneath the anode fin which has to be removed. There is a tube connected to the lower unit for the speed sensor. If you don't watch it you can break the line or the fitting. The fitting has a collar on it that you push in (towards the castling) to release the hose. Make a note of what order the shaft bushing, washers, and washer spring go.
Make sure the new impeller goes in with the correct rotation so that the fins face the correct way. Take pictures of everything.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You were in the lake with the motor down, not on ear muffs so....

Most likely a water pump.
How long did you run it? Did it dribble? Did it give a Temperature alarm?

If it pees while on the flush port then there is no clog but...

The pee stream being clogged is a red herring. The pee stream is "overflow" to show you that the pump is working and you have water at the head. Its a cheap substitute for a water pressure gauge/idiot light. All else being in working order, you could block it and the motor would work just fine.

However, if the pee port is blocked , you should inspect the T-stat for a clog also. Although, since you are in Lake Champlain I suspect you don't have gooey salt biuldup in there.

FYI, Dropping the lower unit is a two man job. The drive shaft is long. You have to take it out straight. You can't let the weight of the lower unit bend the shaft. When you get the bolts free and wiggle it loose, it decides it wants to drop fast.

Videos are a good idea.
When putting back together pay attention to lining up the shift rod and the water pickup tube

Its a doable job for a handy person. Kits available at SIM yamaha or Boats.net. Just lookup your motor.

Reactions: PointedRose

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have had the engine cover off but have not seen a flush connection anywhere. Engine too old being a 2000?

When I purchased the boat last July both pumps were replaced by a dealer on LI. Complete kit for both on invoice. Also called them when I purchased to get low down on work performed and why.

Going to the marina in the morning and going to trace rubber tubing checking for blockage.

Currently in fresh water but could have picked up something in the Fall. Worked fine last year.

More to come.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Ok dropped in boat today. Started right up (yeah). Port engine pissing a nice stream, starboard not so much (boo). Not sure when impeller last changed on Starboard engine but Port was changed by previous owner due to other maintenance items. Is there anything to check before pulling boat (marina is next to ramp) and replacing the water pump impeller? Is it something doable by me as backlog for deploying boats is long? Replacement kit or specific pieces?

Watch videos and looks ok to do as have tools and whereabouts.

love my 232, just not the engines right now.
Re-kitting a water pump is not a big deal. You have to drop the lower unit. Kit comes with all the parts you need. It's a medium DIY project mostly having the right metric tools. Don't rationalize it - just change it - not that expensive in the grand scheme of boating. Change lower unit oil while you are at it too.

Rlloyd

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
What model motors do you have? My 2003 Gulfstream has F200’s, and there’s a flush port on the starboard side, just below the power head. It’s a small hose with a hose connector. You screw in your freshwater hose to that hose connector.

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
What model motors do you have? My 2003 Gulfstream has F200’s, and there’s a flush port on the starboard side, just below the power head. It’s a small hose with a hose connector. You screw in your freshwater hose to that hose connector.
Z150TXRY’s

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Should be outside of enging there is a black tubing connected to a hose end that is screwed to a holding position. Unscrew and connect a hose to the tube

seasick

Reaction score
flush port is on the underside of the rear lower cowling. It has a hose like screw on connector with a narrow hose. Since you don't know where it is, I assume you may not have been flushing the motors ( you could have flushed with the motor running on muffs and thats fine.Yamaha states not to run the motor when using the flush port.

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
flush port is on the underside of the rear lower cowling. It has a hose like screw on connector with a narrow hose. Since you don't know where it is, I assume you may not have been flushing the motors ( you could have flushed with the motor running on muffs and thats fine.Yamaha states not to run the motor when using the flush port.
Heading to the boat in ten. I have had the boat since July and had serviced in October. Still learning my way around outboards as had Mercruisers for twenty seven years.

I believe I have everything needed to flush and check hose lines in the car. Worst case will pull boat later today.

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Went to the boat.

First steps were to run a thin wire into the pilot. Did have some small gunk like seaweed that I pulled out but nothing too big to have stopped the flow in my opinion. Remove the tell tale from the hole and started the motor. Started spitting water and then had a decent stream (see attached picture) but was not as strong as the port engine but never the less had water leaving the tell tale. Ran motor for five minutes at decent rpm’s. Lowered to neutral and still worked. Put tell tale back into hole and put the cowl back on. Shut off the motor thinking maybe this was it. Twenty’s minutes later started up again and no water exiting tell tale regardless of rpm’s.

Flush connection was obvious and easy to find. Never new what this was for prIor to this forum discussion. Hooked up water line with motor down. Nothing coming out tell tale. Raised motor can see water exiting lower unit area. tried with brief engine running as well - nothing.

Can’t find a water flow schematic so not sure how far I go. Is it time to pull boat and remove lower unit to validate impeller isn’t spinning? If not willing to try other things but there really is a limited problem area if I understand this correctly
LearNing a lot but want to go fishing!

Attachments

• 995566FA-3D51-4BF5-BAFC-A8B433501D4A.jpeg
    995566FA-3D51-4BF5-BAFC-A8B433501D4A.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18

seasick

Reaction score
If the impeller wasn't spinning the motor would have over heated quite quickly. I am not sure what you are doing under the cowling. If you are trying to clean out the tube and very small hole on the leading lower edge of the lower unit, that is the pitot sensor that sort calculates speed based on water pressure that is forced into the little hole due to the boat moving. That has nothing to do with the pee (telltale) stream. If that hole gets plugged up ( a common occurrence) your speedometer reading may be inaccurate or not work at all. That plumbing is completely separate from the cooling system. When you disconnected whatever you disconnected and it spit water, it wasn't the pitot plumbing.
Be careful disconnecting tubing under the cowling. Some motors use sea water to cool fuel or cool the computer.

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
If the impeller wasn't spinning the motor would have over heated quite quickly. I am not sure what you are doing under the cowling. If you are trying to clean out the tube and very small hole on the leading lower edge of the lower unit, that is the pitot sensor that sort calculates speed based on water pressure that is forced into the little hole due to the boat moving. That has nothing to do with the pee (telltale) stream. If that hole gets plugged up ( a common occurrence) your speedometer reading may be inaccurate or not work at all. That plumbing is completely separate from the cooling system. When you disconnected whatever you disconnected and it spit water, it wasn't the pitot plumbing.
Be careful disconnecting tubing under the cowling. Some motors use sea water to cool fuel or cool the computer.
Seasick, correct me if I am wrong but the starboard rear is the tell tale (picture shows water). Not doing anything at lower limit yet. Never had high temp sensor alarm go off but to be honest not even sure it functions. Speed is close to gps so thinking it is ok.

Should I have seen water come out of tell tale when I put a hose on the flush connection?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Sometimes attaching a hose is not enough to make the engine pee. If it’s peeing while it’s running you’re probably fine.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have you pulled your thermostats to see if they are clogged?
WY3G7nIh.jpg

Reactions: SkunkBoat