Starboard, marine plywood or ?

cbartle60

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I need to replace the bulkhead between the helm and cabin on my 240 offshore. I was considering 3/4 starboard but am concerned about shrinking/expanding and war page. Should I use marine ply instead and then paint it or something else? I also need to replace the door. 34C4C35F-9F03-4C0A-92B8-F372C86EEBA8.jpegThanks

cbartle60

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yeah that did turn out great! BTW I’m a big fan of your YouTube videos! I’m restoring a ‘79 that’s in surprisingly great shape. My surveyor said the fuel tank was sound but I’m pretty sure it’s the original so it’s getting changed. Thanks for the advice!!

Reactions: UCPA111

Fishtales

Reaction score
There was a guy that was making replacements from starboard. Do a search.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I took the same bulkhead out in one piece on my 208 - brought it to a guy who used it as a template. I used 3/4 starboard

cbartle60

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Any issues with the starboard warping or shrinking etc? Thanks

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Check around for a plastics distributor local to you.One that sells Lexan sheet and the like. LOCAL because shipping is expensive, especially a whole sheet.
If they don't have STARBOARD brand they will have HDPE sheet which is the same.
Years ago I got a 54" x 96" x 1/2" sheet for $245 from Emco Plastics in Cedar Grove, NJ.
I gave them a cut layout and for $20 they made 5 cuts on their machine. WAY better than dealing with a full sheet yourself.
All the pieces fit in my Ford Explorer.

Also, for that application (the bulkhead not the trim & door), consider using the cheaper and lighter vinyl board like AZEK or the cheaper knock offs that you can get at Home Depot.

Last edited:

cbartle60

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks very much. You guys have been a great help! Pretty sure I’m going with 3/4” starboard. It’s not cheap but I think it will look nice and hold up well. I’m going to make the door out of starboard also (I have a woodworking shop). Planning to route out the centers and use smoked lexan to reduce the weight of the doors and let more light into the cabin. Will post some pics once it’s finished...will probably be awhile because the new fuel tank is top priority right now.

Betty White

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Check around for a plastics distributor local to you.One that sells Lexan sheet and the like. LOCAL because shipping is expensive, especially a whole sheet.
If they don't have STARBOARD brand they will have HPDE sheet which is the same.
Years ago I got a 54" x 96" x 1/2" sheet for $245 from Emco Plastics in Cedar Grove, NJ.
I gave them a cut layout and for $20 they made 5 cuts on their machine. WAY better than dealing with a full sheet yourself.
All the pieces fit in my Ford Explorer.

Also, for that application (the bulkhead not the trim & door), consider using the cheaper and lighter vinyl board like AZEK or the cheaper knock offs that you can get at Home Depot.

Hi there,

we are also replacing the cuddy bulkheads, but debating between 1/2 or 3/4 StarBoard. Have you felt the 1/2 StarBoard worked well?

cbartle60

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I’m using 3/4”...think it will be sturdier and less likely to warp.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Hi there,

we are also replacing the cuddy bulkheads, but debating between 1/2 or 3/4 StarBoard. Have you felt the 1/2 StarBoard worked well?

I used 1/2" for gunnel boxes, trim, a door, and removable deck lids inside the cuddy of a Wellcraft V20. I've used black 1/2" as a dashboard also.

I did not do a bulkhead as in your picture. It appears to me that the fiberglass across the top and the door frame are the structural elements.
I don't think I would use starboard as the bulkhead. I would use exterior grade plywood and cover it with laminate or, more likely, I would try 3/4" pvc board(aka AZEK or Verdana) which is much lighter and cheaper, looks good and is weatherproof.
I'd go with 1/2" starboard for the bi-fold door & frame.

Fishtales

Reaction score
1/2 inch prob ok, like all things male - thicker is better.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
dont go half inch. You'll regret it.

cbartle60

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
So far the best price on 3/4” starboard with shipping to me was around $500 for a 54”x96”...the freight was less from boat outfitters because it’s closer to me in Fl. Does Anyone have a good source for 316 stainless screws/hardware? My son just started working at West Marine so I bought a bunch of screws from them at the discounted rate but they’re lousy quality. Already showing surface rust and several screws‘ heads instantly broke off upon installation...fun stuff.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd go to a local marine supply store that sells to the commercial guys. I replaced all the painted GW screws with SS and they look great and never rust.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Make sure you predrill undersized of course..
Use a scrap piece to find the proper bit that will be tight on the screw going in, but not too tight. The correct shouldered screws with a counter sunk hole to make it proper

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I get all my stainless steel hardware from grainger.com. you will not regret the product quality from them and they have many different grades of stainless.

SeanR

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I removed mine and used as a template. Purchased marine plywood. Cut out. Mixed and thinned some epoxy and coated the bottom third and edges. Then, I installed laminate. Turned out great. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKY3HuZDoWwR_iSbBmZmWEkSuhFlgBwjb

What kind of laminate did you use? My 94 gulfstream has some smooth white laminate but can’t seem to find Where to buy a sheet of it. Like a lot of other people the plywood all rotted out.
Thanks for any advice

Attachments

• A444BD64-5E54-4885-A014-7DCB635BCE86.jpeg
    A444BD64-5E54-4885-A014-7DCB635BCE86.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Forget that laminate crap
Replace it with Starboard and be done with it.