Starboard movement

Morella

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I have a 2014 preowned 275 freedom i noticed when i put both trottles in neutral my port engine has a verry slow prop rotation causing my stern to move to the starboard how can that be adjusted?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It's not uncommon for a propeller to spin in neutral, however it shouldn't be in gear or under power (meaning, you could actually stop it with your hand... but don't try that!). Any spinning should certainly not be causing boat movement. You can double check - with the engine off and in neutral - spinning the prop by hand in either direction should produce no clicking or resistance.

If it is actually still in gear, then your shift cable has probably stretched or the linkage is fouled up. You may be able to adjust it - take a look at the linkage and double check with your service manual. It's pretty straight forward, though.

seasick

Reaction score
To add to what Dennis said. Next time you notice the condition, shut off the motors but don't touch the throttle.
Pull the ignition kill clip to be safe.
Raise the port motor.
Reach over and see if you can turn the prop manually. If not, it is still in gear but shouldn't be. If it does turn, all is probably normal especially if that motor is counter rotating. Counter lower units have a bit more internal drag and are more likely to rotate a bit in neutral when motor is running.
As also mentioned, a slight spin should not move the boat. You are probably still in gear.

Morella

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Thank you Dennis and Sea sick , anxious to try your reccomendations