Starboard Source?

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Anybody know where I can get 1/16" thick Starboard near Richmond, Hampton Roads, or online? I also need some boards to make new toe boards...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Do they even make 1/16"? Try Mcmaster Carr - maybe Jamestown Distributors. Also look for just "HDPE" as opposed to the brand name of Starboard. Taco Metals makes this stuff, too.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Yep, google HDPE sheet richmond va...ignore the top "Ads"...you need to avoid shipping...find one with a physical address in Richmond...Piedmont comes up as one

You can probably buy a sheet and have them cut it and pick up the pieces for less than anyhting shipped.

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You don’t want HDPE. Starboard has different properties that make it more like wood to work with. And its UV stable.

Starboard in smaller pieces is readily available. Taco repackages it. West carries it. Mesco can get you full sheets but you will have to ask your marina to order it for you and avoid shipping costs.

Last edited:

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you are looking for someone to round the edges and any radial corners, look at TAP Plastics. Found they were cheaper than Boat Outfitters when it came to that stuff

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You don’t want HDPE. Starboard has different properties that make it more like wood to work with. And its UV stable.
Ahem... ;) https://www.mcmaster.com/plastics/marine-grade-moisture-resistant-polyethylene-hdpe-/

"MESCO" should be explained, as most may not know who that is. MESCO is a large suppliler on the East coast, but you can't buy direct. That's the part Hookup was mentioning - you would have to get it from a local marine store.

All of the "regular" HDPE (non-marine grade) will cut/tool very easily - the difference is negligible, at best. And, if the piece isn't going to be exposed to UV, it doesn't have to be marine-grade, either.

I have no idea if Taco makes their own (or to their specs), but I do know theirs is less expensive than the Starboard brand (when I place an order through MESCO). Or at least it used to be - I haven't checked in a while.

Ridge, just out of curiosity, what are you trying to do? Possibly there's a better product for your project? I still am not sure if you can find 1/16" - I've only ever seen 1/4".

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The King Starboard brand is UV stabilized and has a textured finish on both side. I'm sure there are subaitites. It all depends on how big a piece you need. Small pieces and be shipped inexpensively. Full sheets you need to find a place that can bring it in and you can pickup without a shipping charge. MESCO works with most marinas and marine stores. My marina got me a full sheet of Coosa Board for a deck repair.

The Taco brand is in the West Marine by me. Not sure if its King starboard or a knockoff but I have used it. Most Grady projects are using Seafoam which is a off white brown tint like the gel coat.

1/16" may be a problem. What are you trying to do and how big a piece? If it has to be 1/16" you will need to find other than Starboard but you may not get the Seafoam color.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Toe kicks would be 1/2".
I've never seen hdpe less than 1/4". You might look for 1/8" or 3/16" ABS plastic sheet if you need thin material for dash panel.

If you are looking for a 54" x96" sheet, find a local plastics company, call them, tell them what you are looking for, they will probably have a brand of marine hdpe (King or Seaboard...), they will probably make cuts on their machine for a minimal charge. I did a project a few years ago with a full sheet of 1/2" from EMCO in Cedar Grove, NJ. It was about $150 and $20 for 5 straight cuts.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
[QUOTE="DennisG01, post: 206587, member:

Ridge, just out of curiosity, what are you trying to do? Possibly there's a better product for your project? I still am not sure if you can find 1/16" - I've only ever seen 1/4".
[/QUOTE]

Ootboard shims. I re-did my bang plate, and when I start tightening down the bolts the bracket starts mashing and bending the 1/16" angle I used because the transom isn't exactly 90° and I screwed it down and used 3M 4000. I want to cut 4 shims so the outboards lay flat against the transom instead of 2 pressure points, the bang cap and at the bottom...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore

Ootboard shims. I re-did my bang plate, and when I start tightening down the bolts the bracket starts mashing and bending the 1/16" angle I used because the transom isn't exactly 90° and I screwed it down and used 3M 4000. I want to cut 4 shims so the outboards lay flat against the transom instead of 2 pressure points, the bang cap and at the bottom...
[/QUOTE]
Oh, right. We advised that in a previous post of yours, if I remember correctly?

Go to that Mcmaster place I mentioned and look at the various types of plastic available. Pretty much anything would work for this... PVC, HDPE, LDPE, ABS, etc, etc. Heck, you could cut up a piece of clear plastic window that you can buy at HD.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Well, I ended up on Amazon of all places... Went up to 3/32" to give a bit of a gap between the different metals which I will fill with sealant...

Jamestown was a no-go. Not thin enough.

McMaster, interestingly enough, would custom cut shims for me but I would have to submit a pattern and wait for the turnaround... Thought abought buying 50 pairs or so and trying my hand as an e-Bay Pirate... Thoughts?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well, I ended up on Amazon of all places... Went up to 3/32" to give a bit of a gap between the different metals which I will fill with sealant...

Jamestown was a no-go. Not thin enough.

McMaster, interestingly enough, would custom cut shims for me but I would have to submit a pattern and wait for the turnaround... Thought abought buying 50 pairs or so and trying my hand as an e-Bay Pirate... Thoughts?
I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're doing. Sealant isn't going to "fill" a gap since you have to tighten it down - sealant is not structural. Also, why are you are looking to have "custom" shims made? Buy a piece of plastic and just cut it to the size you need. Honestly, if you can't do that, you probably shouldn't be working on the boat to start with :)

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're doing. Sealant isn't going to "fill" a gap since you have to tighten it down - sealant is not structural. Also, why are you are looking to have "custom" shims made? Buy a piece of plastic and just cut it to the size you need. Honestly, if you can't do that, you probably shouldn't be working on the boat to start with :)

Let me see if I can dumb it down dor you: Bang cap is 1/16" thick. Shims are 3/32" thick, moving the motors off the bang plate with 1/32" clearance.
I was not looking to have the shims cut for me, I simply noted it is a service they offered. I bought the material and have cut my own shims, but your insult was much appreciated. I went up an extra 32nd so a thin layer of caulk can be applied to help insulate the dissimilar metals; who said anything about it being structural? Honestly, if your reading comprehension skills are that bad, you probably shouldn't be posting here to start with...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Let me see if I can dumb it down dor you: Bang cap is 1/16" thick. Shims are 3/32" thick, moving the motors off the bang plate with 1/32" clearance.
I was not looking to have the shims cut for me, I simply noted it is a service they offered. I bought the material and have cut my own shims, but your insult was much appreciated. I went up an extra 32nd so a thin layer of caulk can be applied to help insulate the dissimilar metals; who said anything about it being structural? Honestly, if your reading comprehension skills are that bad, you probably shouldn't be posting here to start with...
Good luck.

Reactions: Blaugrana

Fishtales

Reaction score
I don't know if I'd do that - just me. I hope the shims stay in place. If not you may be inviting water into the transom.