StarBoard

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok, where can I get a sheet or two of this wonderful StarBoard material I keep hearing about? I tried a search, but as you can imagine, searching "starboard" on a marine forum returned about a million hits. For the record, I am in the Southeastern Pa area, the boat is in the Northeastern Chesapeake Bay area...

Thanks
Bren

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I think "customcreativeplastics.com" has exactly what I was looking for.

For those who may be wondering, I do not need this to redo my teak, but rather, I am going to get a sheet and cut it to lay over all the old electronics holes on my helmstation (cabin roof). I have cleaned everything up and gone to a single unit for both GPS and Sounder. All my radios are in the overhead elec. box, but cannot stand to look at all the old holes from 23 years of electronics.

If anyone has any better suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thanks again,

Bren

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here is a pic from last year (before the repower and new electronics). I have crudely outlined the area in question, and you can clearly see the brakets from the old electronics. Now there are simply screw holes in their place, along with some screw holes from electronics past. My new combo unit is right behind where the compass is in this pic, and the compass is now a flush mount unit. Hopefully this helps with the visual. I will try and get a better pic of the current area this weekend when we get to the boat.
http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x295/96gtfireguy/?action=view&current=IMG_5748_1.jpg

Thanks,
Bren

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
bdevlin

Here's the photo that you have:
IMG_5748_1.jpg

I'm guessing that you just want to take a piece of starboard and "recover" the area where the screw holes and mounts are located. I think I would simply patch these with MarineTex and gelcoat. Can't tell from the photo but on my 228 there's a textured finish in the gelcoat that shouldn't be too hard to replicate.

Another option would be to put screws and finishing washers in the holes. This would dress it up a bit without a whole lot of effort.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Starboard is easy to mark, stain, and scruff up, after all, it's original use is for cutting boards, still the best at it.

And you will not be able to get the stains, marks, and scruffs out, all permanent. So it depends what you intend to place on top. i.e., I forget which one, but either pencil, pen, or marker marks, do not come out !
How nice!

Alos, being such a large piece as you show, adhered to the glassed over wood cabin roof, it may also expand and pull away from the base when it gets sun or in the heat of summer, and in winter may crack or pull out the screws.

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
thanks for the tidbits guys...

Strikezone - I had thought about patching, but from 23 years of su, the "dashboard" is faded and I cannot find anything that matches enough not to be noticeable. The screws and finishing washers may be a good idea for the moment. Thanks!

As an aside, I could not get the pic to display in my post for the life of me...

Bren

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bob is correct about the starboard been there, i also like Strikezone's idea with the screws, what i would do is marine tex it while playing with some color in it, or gelcoat with some tint in it.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
NEM, I never seen any other material that expands and contracts so greatly as starboard. Makes no difference on a 100% starboard constructed cutting board or cabinet, but just simply used as trim is such a PIA.

richie rich

Reaction score
Are you guys serious about how much Starboard moves? I just made the full width access hatches and cover for the transom on my Sailfish out of this stuff as the original wooden one fell apart....was hoping it would be stable, easy to clean and outlast me.....is this thing gonna distort when it sits out in the sun and pull away from the screws or not allow the doors to close properly? I only left about a 1/16 clearance around the door jams.

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think I am going to try the SS screws and finishing washer first, if I like the look, I will leave it, if not, I can begin to play with Marine Tex and or Gel Coat.

Thanks again to everyone for their ideas/help!

Bren

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Did you read the instructions in the package the starboard came in ?
------------------------------------------
You will see what happens. Time will tell.

Easy enough to take some of if you have to later.

If you did job in the summer heat, may see something occuring during colder weather, like loose screws. If so, don't tighten them.

If the hinge side of doors was also screwed into starboard, or the entire stationary side is starboard, it all expands/cointracts evenly - no issue, only where it ties into non-starbaord is the area of concern and special attention.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
bdevlin5983 said:
Thanks for the help! I think "customcreativeplastics.com" has exactly what I was looking for.

For those who may be wondering, I do not need this to redo my teak, but rather, I am going to get a sheet and cut it to lay over all the old electronics holes on my helmstation (cabin roof). I have cleaned everything up and gone to a single unit for both GPS and Sounder. All my radios are in the overhead elec. box, but cannot stand to look at all the old holes from 23 years of electronics.

If anyone has any better suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thanks again,

Bren

I am doing the same thing as you dude this fall, I have like 7 holes in the cabin roof from prev owners. Am going to secure a piece on the top and make a lockable electonics box on top as well- move the compas to the side like the 1987 model.

Also going to buld a new box behind helm station in the cabin and make an enclosure for the the vhf and the stereo and move the main fuse panel in there too. I dont like the fuse panel location up under the helm, have to remove too much to get to it and working form underneath stinks plus it is in the elements.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
I had a face pannel made by Scott at:
Scott Cambra
Vector Imaging
(508) 730-2954
www.vectorled.com
scott.cam@verizon.net
scott.cambra@vectorled.com
153 Barnes St Fall River Ma, 02723

http://reeldraggintackle.com/images/Fish Pictures/Canyon Draggin/100_4004.JPG

He will build custom pannels for anything. His work was spot on, at a great price and the job was done in a few days and overnighted to me. I plan to redo the main switch pannel this winter and I will be going back to Scott, no question about it.