Start problems-1997 Johnson Oceanrunner 175

gradyrod

Reaction score
Have a 97 looper that I put to bed and all was running great. Today I go to start and it fires right up, but keeps stalling out after a couple of seconds. Then after a few more tries it starts again runs a little, blows a lot of the fogging smoke out, and stops. Finally I quit trying. Noticed a lot of fuel leaking out in 3 or 4 places that surprised me! some fuel hoses leaked at the clamps, a float drain bolt leaked, etc. Seems something was causing high fuel pressure?? Another thing I noticed is that everytime it tried to start or did start I had to go and prime the fuel bulb again. What could be causing the fuel not to prime? BTW, I had drained out all gas in the tank for winter and put in 10 gallons today. My Grady has an 85 gal fuel tank and is on a trailer on an angle with aft end down. Could my problem be as simple as not enough gas in the tank and losing prime--or airbound?

thanks! Dying to get in the water as schoolie stripers are now running here on Long Island ,NY.

Gradyrod

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You possibly have become a victim of ethanol swelling. You have to replace those lines, and the seal and the the float needle in the evap tank on the fuel bracket. I had to do this twice last year. Got a bad dose of ethanol from a local gas station, test showed 18% alcohol.
Stopped using wawa gas.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2143193_test-fu ... ntent.html
this test could save your engine....

one tip that helped me after waking her up after season:

Drain all your carbs to get rid of the fogging oil in the base of the carb bowls. Should run better and stay running.
Run engine off an external tank for the first startup with good fresh fuel.
If you connect your tank after she runs on the external and it starts to run crappy, look to your tank lines and filter /seperator and fuel level
if engine wont stay primed, look at the Vapor seperator and antisyphon, if you dont know what that is I can send you a pic , message me your email address.
Remove that baffle so you can see everything. squeez that buld hard and look for leaks around the seals and lines.

the fuel bracket system is easy to fix and all you need is the parts and a screw driver 3/8 socket, and a small ruler. youll be in the water in no time

uncljohn

Reaction score
probably not high pressure.

I had a similar issue when my carbs were gummed up. It would start, but sometimes had to continue to pump the primer ball to keep it running, would run for a little and then stall when put into gear.

Though yours sounds more like either an air leak in the fuel line or bad gas.

3rdone

Reaction score
WENT THRU ALL THE CRAP MYSELF. ETHANOL! ALL THE HOSES WERE GUMMED AND DETERIATED AND CLOGGED THE FUEL FILTER AND JETS. CHANGED all THE HOSES AND WALLA. NO MORE PROBLEMS.