Starter removal

Redlines

Reaction score
Boat is aTournament 224, repowered from it std 485 mercruiser to an optional 5.7. Due to bilge pump impeller getting stuck, the bilge filled with water and covered the starter! Eventually, the starter will rust and seize up! (From what I’ve been told anyway) There just doesn’t seem like any room to get to the bolts to remove the starter. The v8 took up a lot more space! Any suggestions! Ie. Remove riser, pull engine etc. ouch! Becoming a contortionist at 72 and can’t be one of them! Thanks!

Redlines

Reaction score
I must be more thorough! Fresh Lake Erie water for probably 6 hours tops! However, it was 2 days before I could get to the boat to do any work, at which time the starter turned over fine!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Spary it down liberally with CRC 6-56 or WD-40. That will help to displace any remaining water. Spin it over a bunch of times, spray again. Most likely you'll be good. If not... then worry. If you can't do the starter by feel/blind, you may have to pull the engine. The good thing is that an engine can typically be pulled out in just a few hours.

Chillaxin

Reaction score
If the 2 mounting bolts come up from bottom and the starter has not been removed in a while if you can get at the back of it you can remove the wires off the solenoid 2 screws then the 2 bolts hold the back cover on the starter then take apart the starter leaving the front nose only then you come in from the rear and swing a ratchet for 2 mounting bolts clean and lube bolts when putting back in put in in one piece it’s tight but but will at least bolts will go back in ps if bolts are frozen in the front nose may be aluminum you can carefully break it out leaving the 2 mounting bolts the they should come out easy they freeze were the bolts go through the aluminum starter nose