Starting early...and advice on the L.I., NY area?

Ronrog

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on hopefully getting my GW 376 into the water, maybe as early as March 15-30th? I really don't need warm weather and can handle 50-60 degrees on the low end, but certainly would want light winds and friendly water, and plan to spend 4-5 days to hopefully get the required time on the boat/engines. I need to put on about 25 hours, so the dealer can service the engines and then transport the boat up to northern New York.

Not knowing the waters on the Long Island Sound and other local area's, I'm wondering if I'm pushing the season a little too soon. I would not take it out in heavier seas or high winds? Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Ron

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
That isn't too early at all....Especially given the weather this year. It all depends on the day....and where your dealer is located. I wouldn't worry about the weather unless it is blowing 20+. That boat can take it without issue. However, try to get the docking down before you go out is a strong wind. If you are buying from POE on the north shore (Southold) then Peconic bay is a PERFECT place to get to know the boat. You can run around Shelter Island, out to Plum Gut, the Race, etc and easily get 25 hours in deep water without any problems. Use your electronics and get the owner of the Marina (Bill) to show you around.

If you bought from the South Shore (Spellman's)....You can go through the canal into Peconic Bay or you can make short runs up and down the coast on calmer days. IOf you bought elsewhere it depends on the area.

Either way, don't worry about the time of year. I have launched in mid March ,any times out here (360) and you will have no issues. Biggest thing is learning to dock it safely. Practice with and without the thruster, and, if you have the Captain's comment controls (Joystick)...Practice both with it and without it. The engines are far enough apart on that hull that you don't need the extra stuff on calmer days. Know how to bring it in with just the throttles and then utilize the thruster,/joystick when things get tricky. I don't have the Joystick and I only use the thruster when it gets snotty out. I go out alone all the time and have no issues. Just practice. Good Luck...It's a great hull.

Ronrog

Reaction score
Thanks for the positive response and advice. I did get it from POE and Bill has been nothing but spectacular with service and good information.

Ron

eppem

Reaction score
I will be in the water within two weeks - pick your days and ENJOY!

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Bill at POE is a class act. He will make sure you are all set. My family has been doing business there for over 40 years and I have bought 13 boats from them. I keep my boat there. You are in good hands and should not worry at all about launching and using the boat now. Bill can put a submarine on a nickel in a 20 foot swell so learning how to use the boat and handle it properly will be a piece of cake. Have fun, enjoy, it is a great hull!

Ronrog

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement. The weather looks good for the next week or so, and they will launch the boat on Saturday, at POE. I'm looking forward to the new boat and getting back on the water, even if its for only 4 or 5 days, right now.