Starting Fischer Panda 4200 generator: Is This Normal?

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Fischer Panda generator (new-to-me boat, running 1st season), and so far the generator has worked great. I've never had a genny on my previous boats and I totally love being able to make coffee, run the air con, etc at sea.

The only "issue" I'm having is that most of the time when I try to start it, it behaves a little oddly. Here's what happens:

1. I press the ON button and all the lights light up green except the oil light which is red
2. I press and hold the start button
3. Usually on the first starting attempt, ALL the lights flicker off. The generator doesn't start and when I release the start button after a few seconds all the lights remain OFF.
4. I have to press the ON button again which turns all the lights back on (with the oil light red again)
5. I press and hold the start button again, but usually on the 2nd attempt the lights stay on and with a second or two the oil light goes green, I release the start button and it runs totally great from there

I thought it might be a bad starter relay, so I replaced that, but it didn't affect the issue. I then tried swapping the fuel relay but that didn't change anything either.

I have brand new batteries, and I'm doing this with the motors running. The batteries never have any problem cranking my Yamaha F250 XCA motors, so I'm certain it's not a bad battery problem.

So I'm trying to figure out this is more or less normal behavior, and if not, if anyone has any ideas about what might actually be wrong.

Thanks!

Joe

jbrinch88

Reaction score
The "red" oil light I'm assuming is an oil pressure indicator light. You won't get any oil pressure out of the generator until it cranks for a bit. They may be powering the lift pump or injection pump ( if diesel) off the oil pressure switch.

I could be wrong, not too familiar with these units.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I recommend you have no load on the genset when starting (i.e. turn all lights and AC accessories OFF).

Also - prior to shut down - again - turn all AC items off and let the genset run for 3-5 minutes with NO load.
This allows the coils in the genset to cool down. This was what the FP guys told me to do. Also, the more you use the genset, the better it will perform. Not using it is actually bad.

Good luck and I hope this helps. If it doesn't, you might have an issue with the on/off/start switch panel.