State shut downs and marinas

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Not that this is by any means a priority, but I was wondering if marinas would be impacted when states go into lock down. Stay safe everyone!

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think by the end of next week martial law will be declared in CA. no joke.

seasick

Reaction score
I belong to a not for profit Yacht Club.Per IRS definitions and tax class, it is a social club. Social Clubs are one of the entities that the NY Governor has ordered closed. I wonder exactly what that means. I can understand entities like The Knights of Columbus bur I am not sure what yacht clubs have to do or not do.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have been worried about the same thing as my boat is kept in a town marina in CT for the summer. The Marinas are run by the parks and rec. dept. who have basically closed all of the other town facilities indefinitely. Its looking like its going to be a late start this year.

seasick

Reaction score
Mine is run by NYC Parks. I suppose they won't shut down the grounds but will probably state that the clubhouse is either closed or open but no groups. My other boat is on my driveway in NJ and that shouldn't be an issue unless all launch ramps are closed. That said, I don't know when or if I will get to NJ this season depending on what happens in NYC. I know that in the scheme of things, it isn't all that important compared to what issues we are facing but thinking about the boats helps me stay a bit less stressed out.

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
One of the benefits of being in a funky old-school boat yard is that the owner and most customers see govt. mandates as a minor annoyance. Frankly, it’s probably one of the better places to be because this virus would have a hard time spreading there. Between the presence of vast quantities of “medicinal” alcohol and general hygiene practices of the Inhabitants (foul breath and excessive BO) social distancing is the norm. I plan on staying there working on my boat as long as possible because of my serious concern for my well-being. At least that’s what I’m telling my wife.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
I was at my marina yesterday. They are remaining open. You have to remember, people live on boats, boats develop problems and need repairs. If not repaired, they could sink. I would call that an essential business.

steveditt

Reaction score
I have been worried about the same thing as my boat is kept in a town marina in CT for the summer. The Marinas are run by the parks and rec. dept. who have basically closed all of the other town facilities indefinitely. Its looking like its going to be a late start this year.
Do you know if the ramp is closed ?

seasick

Reaction score
My club is 'closed' by state mandate. That said you can go there to check for safety and security reasons. The main issue is that folks think it is OK to go out fishing with their friends and that is not exercising safe separation of people.

Reactions: JerseySure

Fishtales

Reaction score
Mine has closed and wants all business electronically. They will meet you outside 1-1 if needed. If you access your boat (not quite time up here in the NE for most yet) they ask you to wipe it down to protect others. Seems pretty hard to do but is good advice. I think the gas dock is closed, so you are on your own there as well if you need work.

Reactions: JerseySure

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
No ban in NYC yet. They probably know that nobody is going to listen anyway. I'm kinda shocked any states are banning it to begin with to be honest. The only exception to this would be commercial party boats. Not sure if there's anything more distant than being on a boat. The only people on my boat are people I interact with day to day as it is, so no added exposure.

Reactions: Bloodweiser

seasick

Reaction score
No ban in NYC yet. They probably know that nobody is going to listen anyway. I'm kinda shocked any states are banning it to begin with to be honest. The only exception to this would be commercial party boats. Not sure if there's anything more distant than being on a boat. The only people on my boat are people I interact with day to day as it is, so no added exposure.
The marinas and concessions run by NYC Parks and Recreation are closed as of this this past Monday.

Last edited:

JerseySure

Reaction score
Website
www.psywarrior.com
Model
Fisherman 216
I just spoke with the Dock Master that runs the marina down our street. He’ll be allowing us to drop our boat in and keep it at our slip a week later than usual. People that use their boat and slip as a summer home will not be able to stay on the boats over night and only immediate family of boat owners only will be permitted on the property. No parties or gatherings allowed.

seasick

Reaction score
I am kind of glad that both my boats are on land right now. I have feeling that neither may get splashed this season. Since they are in 2 different states, I cant be certain that I could get to the out of state one if something popped up especially if in the water. In addition, I have a lot of prep maintenance to do and who knows when I will be allowed and willing to do that. So right now, it's planning on the absolute minimum things that have to be done to survive the summer and possible get ready for next winter.
Both boats are covered and can get really warm under the cover in the summer sun so I am trying to decide what to do. Boats are not shrink wrapped, both have 'skeletons' installed for the covers. One can handle rain, the other not as well since the mid bilge pump is disconnected for the winter and some lockers are not self bailing. . That is on my list of critical things to work on. I may take off the covers but leave the frames up...
Anybody in the same boat ?. ( I couldn't resist that pun)
Again, it's only a boat, other things are more important.
Keep well all!

Fishtales

Reaction score
I hope that isn't the case. Would stink to miss the season. Hope it works out for ya.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Word today by fellow member JJMag is you get caught fishing in a mixed boat (not living in the same household) in SF Bay the Dept.of Fish & Wildlife are writing people tickets at a tune of $400/person.

#gettinreel

Last edited:

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Word today by fellow member JJMag is you get caught fishing in a mixed boat (not living in the same household) in SF Bay the Dept.of Fish & Wildlife are writing people tickets at a tune of $400/person.

#gettingreel
Never heard that.

Reactions: leeccoll

seasick

Reaction score
I just spoke with the Dock Master that runs the marina down our street. He’ll be allowing us to drop our boat in and keep it at our slip a week later than usual. People that use their boat and slip as a summer home will not be able to stay on the boats over night and only immediate family of boat owners only will be permitted on the property. No parties or gatherings allowed.

In an ideal world, we shouldn't have to worry about ill advised activities or who has to police those cases. Even the term 'Immediate Family" is problematic since the idea about distancing and isolation is to avoid close interaction among any persons, family or not, who don't physically reside in the same household and have or have had recent personal interactions. That would include children, parents, etc who live in separate places.
Some of the talk reminds me of the old seatbelt argument;" Why should I have to wear a seatbelt if I don't want to?"
Putting yourself at serious risk is at best stupid but not as bad as putting the lives of other at risk as it pertains to the current virus threat.

I expect there to be many more nominations this year for the Darwinian Awards. If you don't know what they are, look it up.