Static in Kenwood stereo when motor running

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
On my new 225, the Kenwood stereo plays great when the F250 is turned off. But when I start the engine I get the worst sounding noise from the radio you could ever imagine. The stereo was a factory option so GW did the installation. Any help wuld be appreciated! Thanks

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
Normally I would say on a new GW to take it right back to the dealer and let them figure it out- but i believe i read in previous posts that there's quite a few miles between you and your dealer. bc of that i would say to give them a call and maybe they can send someone to you or give you a few DIY instructions to fix the issue. in my experience issues like this usually have to do with some wires being run together that obviously do not play nicely together- finding the section of wires in question and separating them can end up being a real guessing game on a complicated installation.

catch22

Reaction score
If it's a buzzing or rapid clicking noise, that increases with rpm's, resister type spark plugs might do the trick. I think there's no difference in performance, same plug, just has an "r" in the model number. Check with a Yamaha dealer to make sure they're ok to use.

If that doesn't do it, you might try a noise suppresion filter. An automotive supply store, or radio shack should carry them. Some filters get wired "inline", on the positive wire to to the radio, and other types get clamped around the wire. Although, I would think with todays sophisticated electronics, something like this would already be built into the radio. The radio itself, might be bad.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
I talked w/ Tommy @ Beaver Park today who installed my electronics. He said that it's possible that since my negative battery cable on the #2 port battery was incorrectly installed @ GW and was loose that it could be why I'm getting the high pitched squeal through the radio. After I reinstall the #2 battery I'll see if that makes the difference. I will also try it on just battery #1 starboard side and see if it does the same thing. If not he said it is probably a loose ground coming from the radio or the antenna wire too close to another wire causing interference. I'll will let you all know what I find.