STBD list on Express 265

Tuna Talk

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I just completed the sea trial on a potential Express 265 and experienced substantial listing to the stbd side, even while the vessel was at rest. I assume the list has existed for a long time as the current owner even has the top of the bottom paint line about an inch higher on the stbd side to compensate. Does this model have a history of a listing issue? Thais issue, coupled with some minor transom bulging on the outboard side of each engine has me questioning whether I want to continue with the purchase.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
This hull is somewhat susceptible to listing with off center weight displacement, if you had someone walk from side to side while on the sea trial you may have noticed this and I sometimes see a little bit of a list to one side or the other when she's in the slip and lightly loaded if either the fresh water tank is full (port side list) or there's a lot of heavy gear under the bench and the hold tank is full (starboard side list) and I've got the engines turned to one side or the other but nothing so significant that my bottom paint line would need to be offset. The large trim tabs work great to offset any imbalances while running but if the boat you're looking at has that much of a list when sitting still and there's not an apparent loading issue that explains it I'd be very cautious moving forward.

FraJul

Reaction score
Mine sits flat as can be. Sounds like the boat has issues that should be found in a survey

seasick

Reaction score
"MYOtherBoat' has a list to port. I can not figure out why and assume it has from day one. Batteries, oil and head are on starboard side.
Port side has fresh water (10) gallons) but empty or full, hull lists. Waste tank is port side but is empty.
I have scoped the bilge and have not found any water issues.

Lucky13

Reaction score
my old 265 had a slight list to strb also but not much. Underway the hull would react to people moving around but like Fowl Said the tabs work great. Take a closer look at how much it is listing but if you end up with a 265 you will love it, fantastic boat and a big 26.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
As I said, its a little to stbd now but if I move the bucket of lead to port it goes the other way. The FW tank and shi..tank is empty. If I fill or put stuff in the livewell it goes the other way.
Point is...its not an indication of a problem.

I would imagine the 2003s and up have less tendency due to flatter deadrise.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have an '04, so less of a deep V than the earlier models, but I just launched and noticed I do have a slight stbd list at the dock, which I haven't noticed before. My fuel tanks are less than 1/4 full so the boat is sitting quite a bit higher in the water, which will make the list more pronounced. In addition, I have a large cooler on the stbd side and an extra battery on that side. I suspect once I fill the tanks, the list will be reduced or go away - in past years, I've never had a list. Perhaps the boat you're looking at had low fuel levels?
As stated above, it's a great solid boat that is very versatile and overall excellent.

georgemjr

Reaction score
Common problem that I have with my '07 330 but didn't have with my '06. My current boat has an extra AC compressor for the fish boxes on the port side. Live well and holding tank are starboard but almost always empty. I compensated with a water bag for wakeboarding boats. Sits perfect. Seemed like a better solution than leaving my holding tank full!

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
My old 265 always had a slight list to starboard. The boat had 2 batteries on that side in the stern so I just always attributed to that. It didn't have any effect on performance.