Steam from new engine...

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Another engine question. I noticed after running the new F300 yesterday that when I slowed down to idle speeds steam was coming out of the engine. I assume it's just normal exhaust...but my Suzuki 200 never did that. It really surprised me and I just want to confirm that it's normal. Bigger engine makes more heat, which probably makes a little exhaust steam. This is my first Grady and I'm a little paranoid right now about it. Still learning....

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have 250's and have never seen steam - is the steam coming from under the engine cover?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Roughly speaking, the size of the engine doesn't dictate the heat since it's still being cooled and operated with a t-stat. Just a side note on that! :)

A little bit of steam after run isn't too abnormal as the exhaust tube is still heated up and 1) it's more noticeable now that there isn't fast air flow around it to disipate the steam and 2) the flow dynamics through the exhaust system changes somewhat at different RPM's.

The reason you may not have noticed it with your Zuke could be 1) the exhaust system/tube is designed slightly different and 2) you may just be more worried... ahem, I mean 'in tune" with what's going on right now because it brand new :)

Reactions: FREEDOM!!!

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
This is very common depending on the ambient atmosphere. The heated vapor coming out of the exhaust at the top of the engine is extremely high humidity, especially at idle, and when the temperature is lowered as it hits the outside air it condenses and forms fog (steam). I noted that it happened with my F250s and with my new F 300s normally when outside air is a little cooler. I too worried about it when I first saw it but monitored it and closely monitored temperatures. All is well with over 1000 hours on two different size pairs of Yamaha motors.

TikiCharterFishing

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
This is very common depending on the ambient atmosphere. The heated vapor coming out of the exhaust at the top of the engine is extremely high humidity, especially at idle, and when the temperature is lowered as it hits the outside air it condenses and forms fog (steam). I noted that it happened with my F250s and with my new F 300s normally when outside air is a little cooler. I too worried about it when I first saw it but monitored it and closely monitored temperatures. All is well with over 1000 hours on two different size pairs of Yamaha motors.
Correct! It’s water vapor condensation. All of my Yamahas have done it.

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Roughly speaking, the size of the engine doesn't dictate the heat since it's still being cooled and operated with a t-stat. Just a side note on that! :)

A little bit of steam after run isn't too abnormal as the exhaust tube is still heated up and 1) it's more noticeable now that there isn't fast air flow around it to disipate the steam and 2) the flow dynamics through the exhaust system changes somewhat at different RPM's.

The reason you may not have noticed it with your Zuke could be 1) the exhaust system/tube is designed slightly different and 2) you may just be more worried... ahem, I mean 'in tune" with what's going on right now because it brand new :)
You are correct about being "in tune" with what's going on. This boat is a Rolls Royce compared to my old boat. Every little thing that is different I'm like "what is that???" Should have seen me try to figure out the windlass yesterday....

Reactions: wspitler

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You are correct about being "in tune" with what's going on. This boat is a Rolls Royce compared to my old boat. Every little thing that is different I'm like "what is that???" Should have seen me try to figure out the windlass yesterday....
What's that "creak" noise... what's that "crack" noise"... what's that "hissing" noise"... is the boat leaning over too much... is the boat supposed to do that... is the boat NOT supposed to that...

Yeah... been there done that, my friend! ;)

Do you know what the "fix" is for that state of mind? Go boating more!!! :)

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Hit a wave and you hear a bang, just what it does at a certain angle and speed to the right height wake or wave. You will hear a lot of noises that all are normal but different from a quiet car going over a bump and all boats are unique, not two are the same.
As said before me, go out enjoy the boat and get familiar with all features. A windlass that free falls was new to me when I got the Grady as well, so I crashed the anchor down on the ground when boat was in wash rack......... we have all been there .

H

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
It could be normal vapor or it could be bad. We can't tell from a description.
In the context that you had an unidentified problem earlier with it going into limp mode, I would investigate it.

I think you can look at engine temps and water pressure on the CL7?

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
It could be normal vapor or it could be bad. We can't tell from a description.
In the context that you had an unidentified problem earlier with it going into limp mode, I would investigate it.

I think you can look at engine temps and water pressure on the CL7?
Yeah, it goes in for its 20 hour on Monday. No warnings or indications. Ran fine today.

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
What's that "creak" noise... what's that "crack" noise"... what's that "hissing" noise"... is the boat leaning over too much... is the boat supposed to do that... is the boat NOT supposed to that...

Yeah... been there done that, my friend! ;)

Do you know what the "fix" is for that state of mind? Go boating more!!! :)
The wife said "you need to take this out and practice"....music to my ears!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mine does that as well, especially if it's an earlier/cooler morning when I'm out fishing and haven't run the boat in a week or two. I heard that especially the older vintage F225's and so forth will do it because of how they're designed, not sure if there's any truth to that, but I was worried about it initially at first as well. Mine will only do it at trolling speeds but as soon as you start to get up on a plane or cruising speed it will go away. A little unnerving to have it happen to you, especially on a brand new boat/motor, but it seems to be a common theme.

HMBJack

Reaction score
You have a brand new Yamaha F300. I would not hesitate to check with your Dealer on this. Take a video on your camera, record the hours, keep a simple log.

The first 100 hours of run time are quite important and can be revealing. By all means, run the boat and get familiar but use the excellent and free resources you have at your disposal. I assume you did the 20 hour service already. Your issue is likely nothing to worry about but with any new engine, the initial 100 hours is key. Just saying...

And speaking of free resources, you might consider the below forum for Yamaha Owners. It is staffed by Experts and will be very helpful to you I'm thinking in the years ahead.

Last edited:

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
You have a brand new Yamaha F300. I would not hesitate to check with your Dealer on this. Take a video on your camera, record the hours, keep a simple log.

The first 100 hours of run time are quite important and can be revealing. By all means, run the boat and get familiar but use the excellent and free resources you have at your disposal. I assume you did the 20 hour service already. Your issue is likely nothing to worry about but with any new engine, the initial 100 hours is key. Just saying...

And speaking of free resources, you might consider the below forum for Yamaha Owners. It is staffed by Experts and will be very helpful to you I'm thinking in the years ahead.

Thank you for the link!