Steering cable for autopilot

J-cubed

Reaction score
I am going to install a Lowrance cable steer autopilot on my 1997 Adventure 208 in the spring. Do I need to change the steering cable in order for it to work? If so what type and length of cable do I need. Any other tips would be appreciated. I already have the Lowrance autopilot and Gen 2 units.

seasick

Reaction score
What does tour current autopilot control? I'm confused.
Regarding the need for a new cable; I don't think yu have to get a new cable but depending on how old your cable is, it might make sense to change it while you are doing all the work. Length should be printed on the cable end under the helm. If you currently have tilt steering, you may not be able to reinstall the tilt. I don't know if there is a cable steer model for the tilt mechanism.
You also need to check that you will have sufficient space under the helm for the unit. It is deeper than the standard steering mechanism.

J-cubed

Reaction score
What does tour current autopilot control? I'm confused.
Regarding the need for a new cable; I don't think yu have to get a new cable but depending on how old your cable is, it might make sense to change it while you are doing all the work. Length should be printed on the cable end under the helm. If you currently have tilt steering, you may not be able to reinstall the tilt. I don't know if there is a cable steer model for the tilt mechanism.
You also need to check that you will have sufficient space under the helm for the unit. It is deeper than the standard steering mechanism.
Thank you for your help. I do not have sufficient space under the helm. I am sending the unit back and changing it over to hydraulic steering.