Steering hard to port while underway

tjb22

Reaction score
I have a 1999 268 Islander that is having steering problems. While underway the steering effort to turn the boat to port gets harder as the boat speed increases. The steering at idle speed or with the motor off is easy to both port and starboard. I believe that this is caused by the torque tab being out of adjustment but I have not been able to locate the procedure to realign the tab to compensate for the steering torque. Does the trailing edge of the tab get pointed in the opposite direction (towards starboard in my case) to compensate for the hard to port situation? I believe the tab was misaligned during multiple repairs to the lower unit by the marina, (water pump impeller replacement, water pump gasket replacement due to incorrect installation during the impeller replacement) but I would rather take care of this myself.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
The touque you're feeling is probably from the right handed prop on the engine and I'd be willing to bet that you're low on hydraulic fluid. Your skeg zinc will comp. for some torque but not that much.

tjb22

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I actually had the system power flushed and the fluid level is good. The helm pump was replaced due to another problem. Hopefully the fix is readjusting the tab.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Where is the tab pointing to now? If it is all the way hard one way, adjust it all the way the other way, and try it. If it is in the middle, try it both ways, all the way one way, then all the way the other way.

It will never be perfect, but at crusing speed in a no cross current or wave condition, the force will be about equal both ways.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I may have misunderstood the question. Is it pulling to one side and you have to hold the wheel to keep it from veering off or is it physically harder to turn to port?

tjb22

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

I'll have to check which way the tab is pointing when i get down to the marina this weekend. The boat tracks fine, it is the effort involved to turn the wheel to port that is bothering me.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Sorry, I misunderstood the question- I thought it was pulling. It's very easy to adjust. I believe it's a 1/2" socket-or a 5/8"-and a socket extender. The black rubber square above the cavitation plate covers the nut to keep water out. Whatever way you turn it, it will effect the opposite side. Don't overtighten, the zinc is only tapped and the bolt is stainless.

seasick

Reaction score
I think the bolt is a 10MM. You need to remove the squarish rubber plug just above where the center of the trim tab anode is.
Start with the tab directly straight astearn and adjust in small increments.
The adjustment for pull is the reverse from what you would think. The tab actually has more effect from its drag than it does from 'redirecting' water flow
Small changes make big differences so adjust a little at a time.
Note that whatever setting you end up with, it will be perfect at only one specific speed.
Use a sharpie pen to mark your settings as you try different angles. Keep a log of how the boat handles and when you get the setting that works best, make a note of that so that next time you change anodes, you don't have to go through the whole process again.
Two more points:
1:The effect of the trim tab may be affected by the engine trim (tilt) you should adjust the tilt to the correct setting before determining if you like the trim tab angle setting.
2: As the trim anode wears away, the effect of the trim tab may change so if the tab is now worn, replace it before going through the adjustment steps.
Once you get it set, steering will be a whole new experience.