Steering hose question

Jrspawn

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I noticed on my marlin the bulkhead steering hose has a cracked plastic but on it. I haven’t messed with yet. But, I’m wondering if that nut actually tightens down to seal the actual connection between the metal steering line and rubber hose? Or, is it just more for the protective cover over the rubber line? And finally, anyone know where I can find a replacement? Thank you!

Attachments

• 91B1CF47-A742-450F-BAC7-5409DACD2AFB.jpeg
    91B1CF47-A742-450F-BAC7-5409DACD2AFB.jpeg
    426.2 KB · Views: 19

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
That looks like a gland nut that had a strain relief on it like the other hose. The nut has a insert that tightens to the hose to keep it in place. It does not have any pressure. You could unscrew it to look at it but my advice is to just leave it alone.

Reactions: Jrspawn

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Look for Seastar Bulkhead strain relief.

Unfortunately, to replace that you have to cut off the metal fitting so you can slide the broken bulkhead strain relief off and put the new one on and then put on a new metal fitting.

The metal fitting can be replaced with Parker part# 2TFMS-6-5b field replaceable fitting

You can also find various kits with short pre-made hoses that have the strain releif on them

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
It's not the best installation. On mine there are bulkhead fitting and short hoses to the steering ram. Disconnecting the hose to slide a strain relief on will require bleeding the steering system. It may not be worth the trouble. But if you decide to take it on go with the bulkhead fittings.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
IMO if you haven't changed the fluid in years this is a good oppurtunity to kill two birds.
You can get a gallon of Mil 5606A on Amazon for $50

Fishtales

Reaction score
Those are plastic hydraulic lines and to be honest, I'd replace them all (2) per motor before one lets loose. It it does, you have hydraulic fluid everywhere (can be an issue if on the water with a spill situation) and you'll loose total steering. The hoses connect to solid lines, you'll need to measure to get the right lengths. You def lost the strain relief on that one. Usually they break at the motor end when they go.

I used these guys... The firm had various lengths and prices were solid. I needed a 4' set and a 7' set. The stock lengths are 4' and 8'. I called and they made up a 7' for me and were great to work with. If in between sizes and don't want to go custom or they can't make up, get the next length up you will have room below to tie down.

I changed all four of them and bled the steering in a couple of hours. Use the Seastar hydraulic fluid in quarts and get the funnel kit off Amazon.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
My Islander uses hard copper lines for the steering. They stop at the bulkhead and switch to a flexible line. At the steering pump they are copper.

I blew a flex line at the bulkhead a few years ago. It was easy to replace but you had to bleed the whole system. Not difficult to do but there are a few tricks. Ask or search the posts.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
not all models and years used copper. Not all have bulkhead fittings with metal connectors and short hoses. In many cases that is just long Seastar 1000 psi hoses passing thru the bulkhead going all the way to the helm.

Fishtales

Reaction score
My Islander uses hard copper lines for the steering. They stop at the bulkhead and switch to a flexible line. At the steering pump they are copper.

I blew a flex line at the bulkhead a few years ago. It was easy to replace but you had to bleed the whole system. Not difficult to do but there are a few tricks. Ask or search the posts.
Same here. Metal within the hull and plastic aft just before coming out and run through the glass to the engines. I can't remember if they are plastic to the wheel or not. I changed the power steering pump 2X (once after 13 years and then under warranty). Can't recall what runs to the steering wheel - could be hard or plastic.
With the raised helm on the Marlin, bleeding was an easy one man job. All air came out through the wheel port. Really was quite easy for me. My line chaffed where the hard black boot ends on the line near the motor. Over the years it caused a weak spot and the line blew. Lucky I straightened the engines out so I could limp back to the slip. Had to use the binacles to steer. I changed all of them after that....