steering knob

DELOACHCPA

Reaction score
i am looking for a steering knob for my 2005 marlin 300. has anyone put a knob on their 300.

B8CASTR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
I can't speak to the 300 but I have an Edson knob on my Seafarer and wouldn't want to operate in close quarters without it. An invaluable aid to docking.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Edson is on my 282, and I wouldn't be without it. Beautifully made, heavy knob and mount; all high quality stainless.

Motivator

Reaction score
At what location on the wheel does the knob do best...3,6,9 or 12?

bc282

Reaction score
On my 282, I added an Edson (IMO, the best choice, but most expensive), served me well for a season. Decided to replace the 15" SS destroyer wheel with a 13.5" 316 invest. cast SS wheel that already integrated a knob on one of the spokes. The wheel (bought off a THTer) and nut only cost a bit more than the $80 I paid retail of the knob from WM. unless you really like your wheel, consider replacing the wheel to one with a knob.

BCLII

Reaction score
Motivator said:
I too, looking for the answer on which position!

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I think it's is a matter of personal choice. Are you right handed, or left? Where do you rest your hands on the wheel while running? Also, if you have mechanical steering, then the knob will stay at the position that you install it, but with hydraulic steering, it may not. Hydraulic steering has a bypass valve that will allow the wheel to continue to be rotated past the stop. And if you have autopilot, the knob may be in a different position, after a run in heavy quartering seas (or other situations of frequent, hard steering corrections by the pilot).

Enough Already

Reaction score
BCLII said:
Motivator said:
I too, looking for the answer on which position!

Doesn't matter where you put it with hydraulic steering, it will move its relative position. Be careful its not in the 6 o'clock position when you hit a big wave and are thrown forward a bit. Don't ask me how I know. :shock:

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I added an edson to my 2005 Marlin. It didnt matter where I put it it was uncomfortable for me. I took it off after two boats trips as it always seemed to be in the way. I had it mounted around 11:00 o clock due tot he spokes on the steering wheel.