Steering Locks

Gone fishin

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2002 208 adventure with a yamaha 175 hpdi motor. Now I have to trailer it about a thousand miles. Can anyone recommend some steering locks that will stabilize the motor for the trip?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I run these, one on each side, assuming you have hydraulic steering.
Screenshot_20200113-192334_eBay.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
More important (or at least as important) than bracing the steering is NOT having the motor resting on the tilt lock leg (it's not meant for trailering). You want to brace the engine better (assuming it doesn't sit high enough on the trailer to let it all the way down, of course) since it's not very stable when it's off the trim rams... also just in case the hydraulics would let go. There's any number of ways to do this, but two short sections of PVC tube slid over the trim rams, then lowering the engine until it contacts the tubes works well.

Gone fishin

Reaction score
More important (or at least as important) than bracing the steering is NOT having the motor resting on the tilt lock leg (it's not meant for trailering). You want to brace the engine better (assuming it doesn't sit high enough on the trailer to let it all the way down, of course) since it's not very stable when it's off the trim rams... also just in case the hydraulics would let go. There's any number of ways to do this, but two short sections of PVC tube slid over the trim rams, then lowering the engine until it contacts the tubes works well.
Yes thanks, I have already purchased a transom saver device from crossed industries, but I was told I should also use steering lockers as well.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thinking more about this, how necessary is a steering lock? I've only trailered this particular boat (tons more experience with sterndrives) a few times (although twice was 500 miles each), but I never used a steering lock device and, if my memory is correct, the engine was still straight up and down at the end of the trip. I assumed that's because of the steering hydraulics and it's really not going to "fall over" to one side or the other.

I just looked through an owner's manual and I didn't find anything relating to using/requiring steering locks - just the aforementioned tilt support.

Also... what does it really matter? I mean, the steering system, I'm sure, expereiences exponentially times more vibration while the boat is underway on the water. Heck, just sitting there in idle (especially a 2-stroke like mine), there's more vibration going on.

Or... why not just flop the engine over to one side and let it rest there?

So, is this something that we do because it makes "us" feel better? Or somewhere along the line some company (that makes a steering lock) convinced us that it's necessary? And then the recommendation (false) gets perpetuated due to the hearsay?

Kinda wondering outloud here...

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Personal preference here and part of my OCD thing.

I like the looks of my motor straight going down the road rather than flopped over to one side. Over time and miles going down the road, mine would gradually creep over to one side or the other. Possibly the result of worn out helm and/or steering ram, or both. I use the MyWedge for the tilt and I use two, one on each piston to distribute the load, again, a personal thing.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Best to use them. Cheap and they stabilize the motor while trailering. One less thing to worry about.

Gone fishin

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your thoughts about these steering locks. They are pretty cheap, so will go ahead and put some on for my long haul.:cool:

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thinking more about this, how necessary is a steering lock? I've only trailered this particular boat (tons more experience with sterndrives) a few times (although twice was 500 miles each), but I never used a steering lock device and, if my memory is correct, the engine was still straight up and down at the end of the trip. I assumed that's because of the steering hydraulics and it's really not going to "fall over" to one side or the other.

I just looked through an owner's manual and I didn't find anything relating to using/requiring steering locks - just the aforementioned tilt support.

Also... what does it really matter? I mean, the steering system, I'm sure, expereiences exponentially times more vibration while the boat is underway on the water. Heck, just sitting there in idle (especially a 2-stroke like mine), there's more vibration going on.

Or... why not just flop the engine over to one side and let it rest there?

So, is this something that we do because it makes "us" feel better? Or somewhere along the line some company (that makes a steering lock) convinced us that it's necessary? And then the recommendation (false) gets perpetuated due to the hearsay?

Kinda wondering outloud here...

I use a steering lock if am leaving the motor tilted up for an extended period of time. In the past I did not on previous boats. When I repowered my Grady 205, the Grady dealer mechanic that did the install warned me that on this style transom with the six cylinder 225, there is a limitation. In all different amounts of trim while running the boat there is no possibility of the motor cowling contacting the fiberglass. However, if you tilt the motor all the way up, like you see some people do, and let the motor drift over to the stops, the cowling will hit the corner of the transom cutout. For that reason I purchased stops. On the matter of the MyWedge, I am a believer but beware as some of the older Yamahas had the grease fitting so close to the starboard ram that the fitting can be damaged and so it is recommended that the port side ram is recommended for the use of the MWedge. I know my old 150hp Yamaha 4strokes were like that but my new 4.2L has no clearance problems.image.jpgjimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
When trailering, though, the best thing you can do is to keep the engine totally vertical :)

BD3DCBA0-90BA-4805-84F1-3F601C1301AA.jpg

Reactions: Halfhitch

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Oh... FYI, that's my spare engine that went 500 miles from PA to ME this Summer.

Given your history of ingenuity, no doubt there is a sprocket where the prop was and a hole in the bed with a motorcycle chain running down to a sprocket on the driveline.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I too use an m-y Wedge. Only one as the old school OXs have a grease fitting that will get busted off if you put one on the starboard ram.

I've never needed the clip for a hydraulic steering motor. If your motor is flopping over while trailering, you probably have air in the system that needs to be bled.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I too use an m-y Wedge. Only one as the old school OXs have a grease fitting that will get busted off if you put one on the starboard ram.
Interesting. Your 225 has a grease fitting on the stbd trim ram? My 250 does not. The trim/tilt assembly "should" be the same, right? Although I'm not at the boat right now to double check - but I can't recall it having one?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think it's all the old school ones....I know my old 150 had one because I sheared it off once many moons ago.

I'll check my 225 and report back.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I think it's all the old school ones....I know my old 150 had one because I sheared it off once many moons ago.

I'll check my 225 and report back.
My 250 is a model year 2000... I assume yours is based on your boat year? I'm going to look around for some pics I may have of it. I do remember reading somewhere about what you said, but for some reason I thought it may have been some "F" (four stroke) models? Not sure, though.