steering: # of revolutions stop to stop?

wdlfbio

Reaction score
I have a 2007 282 and wondering how many turns are typical stop to stop? I bled the steering and want to make sure I configured the autopilot correctly. I got 6.5

DaleH

Reaction score
Holy cow that's a lot! But in truth it depends on the volume of the helm pump, whereas the typical Seastar (by Teleflex) helm pump is a 1.7 cubic inch, giving one 3-4 turns lock to lock. The other pumps sizes are 2.0 and 2.4 by Seastar. You'd need to know what model and brand helm you have. I'm a new GW owner, but the 225G Tournament model I just bought wears a Seastar system.

Here's what I do, but CHECK your system brand first, and if a Seastar unit, then use this info.

CHECKING FLUID LEVEL:
Per the Teleflex/Sea Star manual, if the helm is mounted horizontal (+/- 20 degrees) the fluid should be at the bottom of the threads in that fill port.

If mounted vertical (+/- 20 degrees) the fluid should be 1/2" below the bottom thread.

It is not uncommon to have to top off a helm unit every once in a while, but some units won't need it at all during the season. I find units left "hard over w/ the OB trimmed up" may weep a bit out of the steering arm seals, which might exit/drip overboard, so you may never notice it.

Try this - bring fluid up to proper level referred to above, then turn wheel hard over one way. With the fill port cap open, keep turning the wheel hard, then release the wheel, and repeat ... while watching the fluid level. If it "drops" when you apply turning force there is air in the system which you could bleed out. Repeat this test by turning the wheel hard over the other way. Tip- always turn the helm wheel very sloooowly if/when that vent cap is open :shock: !

QUICK BLEEDING:
Actually 'not so quick' ... but it does work. NOTE this is my own personal method.

1) Check fluid as added from a previous post.
2) SLOWLY turn wheel hard over one way, remembering which way you turned it ...
3) Sloooowly crack open vent cap whilst rocking the cap, listening for air venting
4) Vent until no more air escaping
5) SLOWLY turn wheel the other direction
6) Repeat steps 3 - 5
7) Repeat steps 5 - 7 again, and again, and again ... I usually do it a few times in the course of a day

NOTE: If you have a lot of air ... DO NOT turn the wheel over fast when the fluid is "low", as this causes bubbles to form in the helm and actually "creates more air bubbles" as a function of turning the wheel, but I'm no fluids engineer ;) .

HYDRAULIC STEERING FLUIDS:
You can use any MIL SPEC H-5606 C rated fluid in that helm.

Oil Manufacturer - Brand Name
SeaStar - SeaStar oil part number HA5430
Shell - Aero Shell Fluid #41
Esso - Univis N15 or J13
Texaco - HO15
Chevron - Aviation Hydraulic Fluid A
Mobil - Aero HFA
Petro Canada - Harmony HV115 (In Canada Only)

You can also call 604-270-6899 for Technical Support on Seastar steering units, or http://www.teleflexmarine.com/support-2 ... support/if needed.