Steering on my 2007 Seafarer has some play at slow speeds.

nrtbmw

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
System bled with little sign of air pockets. Mechanic says the helm mechanism may need replacement which would involve 2 hrs labor. Does anyone have an idea of parts cost?
Thanks

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just replaced my helm after 10 years of hanging onto the wheel while banging over the waves. They all develop play and should be replaced once the amount of play becomes annoying.

I think I paid $770 for the helm kit. You can get rebuilt units or get yours rebuilt for about half that price. Do a search for Seastar helm rebuild.

Last edited:

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I think (without verification of fittings) that the one below is the modern equivalent of what mine has, but I'm planning to have the existing one rebuilt this off season...

bFransen

Reaction score
I had to bleed mine a couple times to get the play out. I wouldn't give up on a 2007 system without trying again as it's not just the hardware you're buying, you'll still have to bleed the new system.

There is a guide with pictures on thehulltruth. Give the bubbles time to rise in the capture reservoir. I think that's the trick as the little bubbles will sit suspended for a while.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

They are an authorized SeaStar outfit. Pricing is much better. You send in the old one and they will ship you a remanufactured one with a warranty.

Reactions: ScottyCee