Steering problems

Tigercat

Reaction score
When I am sitting at the helm, I can turn the steering wheel on the Tigercat 2 times all the way around before it starts to move.Then when I have turned the wheel all the way to the right or left the port motor is loose or has some play in it.The port motor can also be pushed with your hand back and fourth, it does not move much, about 3 inches the starboard motor does not have any play at all.Does anyone know what this could be? Please any help would be great planning a trip this weekend if I can get this fixed. Thanks Alot Tigercat :)

no problem

Reaction score
I'm assuming you have 2 steering rams and at least the port unit has some air in it and your system needs to be bleed. Just a guess? Good luck with it.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep. You need to bleed your system.

If the problem comes back or you see signs of fluid leakage, you will need to replace your seals.

cgmiller

Reaction score
You could have problems with the check valves in the helm pump. And you could also have air in the system. The last day I was fishing out in my boat trolling in rough seas, I could watch the engine turn back and forth every time the boat rolled on a wave....the dealer claims to have bled air out of the system and corrected that problem.......my dad and I rented a boat down in the keys when his was in the shop and it was maybe 2 years old and if you turned the helm real slow to port, the engine would not turn at all.....if you turned it fast, it would work properly....

teaklejr

Reaction score
Hi. There is a valve that ties the two steering rams together(liquid tie valve) which is located on the starboard side at the back inside of where the oil tank is located. At least that is where it is on my 1997 Tigercat. When you open the door look straight down(get a flashlight) you will see a valve where the steering lines screw into it. There should be a flat head screw on the top of it, that is where you bleed the air out of it. Turn the motors hard over and open the screw some and have someone else keep turning the wheel hard over until both motors are all the way at the outside of the ram cylinders. You might have to do it a few times. After you do it say to port close the valve then turn to the starboard side and do the same thing. The system is probably low on fluid. I had to do this to mine every so often until I replaced the seals that screw into the ends of the steering cylinders because they were leaking a little bit. Hope this makes sense.

Tigercat

Reaction score
Thanks alot , Teaklejr I took the boat to the shop, :goodjob but I don't think the guy knows alot about the boat I will call him and give him the info in the am. Thanks so much

Pete1313

Reaction score
You've got air in your steering system. Bleeding will temporarily solve the problem, but the question you need to ask is why is their air in there?

Go to The Hull Truth and ask Seastar Steering this question. He will help..he is the company rep.

My guess is your helm seal is allowing air in at the helm. Have you ever seen a small amount of steering oil leak from the bottom of your helm housing where it connects to the console? If you have, you're losing small amounts of oil, which means more air.

I've dealt with this issue too. the helm seal kit is cheap and easy to install for a DIY guy.

Also, I've bled my system 3 times and its tough to get right. If you have it at the shop, make sure the shop has a power bleed system and pay to have them get it right, once the seals are replaced (or problem of leak is otherwise fixed)

My .02.