Steering replacement

b-dog

Reaction score
My 1995 192 with a 1995 150 Yamaha cable steering has some play in it. Seems to be in the helm. I looked into the bay star because it handles motors up to 150 hp but doesn’t seem to be compatible with my model. Anyone else use them or the sea star. Or just replace the cable and helm. It’s not a big problem now with the cable.

G243

Reaction score
I suggest you repair your existing cable system since the cost of the Sea Star is very expensive. I have the Sea Star and it is a good way to go if you want the upgrade.

seasick

Reaction score
Unless the cable is broken or shredded which can add unwanted stretch, I would recommend replacing the whole thing. The mechanisms inside the helm especially if it is a rotary unit do tend to wear out and get sloppy. It may not be that easy to tell if the cable has slop or it's the helm unit without disconnecting the cable at the helm but if you can move the motor side to side and not see a lot of motion in the wheel, the cable may be the issue. Note that some of those helm units, although mechanical, still are filled with oil. You might find that out if you open the case.