Steering shaft play in seastar steering?

walt bowen

Reaction score
Maybe this is normal but I have noticed that the shaft on my steering wheel seems to have a lot of side to side play and when turning I was getting some dry bushing or bearing noise. This is actually in the steering wheel shaft itself and not to do w/the hydraulic part of the steering. I pulled the wheel off and lubed the shaft and the tilt steering joint the best I could w/oil but this bushing assembly looks to be sealed. Has anyone replaced some part of this or had a similar situation? Any help would be appreciated.

Walt Bowen
01 263
w/200 hpdi's

catch22

Reaction score
Yes, I replaced the tilt mechanism because of too much play in the steering. It wasn't very difficult. Contact Seastar, (Teleflex) or a dealer to get the part.

walt bowen

Reaction score
catch22,
Thanks for the info...........I'll do some research on this replacement part.

Thanks,
Walt

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Try also Freeport Marine in Freeport NY, ask for Mike, if the price you have above is better, ask him what he can do.

I believe Freeport Marine is not just retailer but distributor too for Teleflex/Seastar.

brdawg2001

Reaction score
I went ahead and used Boatsteer and got a remanufactured unit with tilt...well worth it.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
When you jiggle the wheel back and forth where is the "play". It could be the universal in the tilt mechanism. It could be air in the hydraulic lines.