Steering system layout? 2021 GW 235 Freedom

billbass

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Can anyone point me to some good resources to identify the Seastar model numbers for the components of this steering system? The main components would be the helm, power assist pump, and then the actuator (piston) on the motor.
My pump is whining. A GW salesman told me “they all sound this way” and it’s ok. I’m wondering. On an automobile this would be a sound of trouble. Is the power assist pump easy to find in the stern? I haven’t looked yet.

seasick

Reaction score
Have you checked the fluid level? It may be low ( but shouldn't).

billbass

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Yes. The level in the helm was low enough so that I could not see it in that 1/4" NPT hole in the helm. I added about 4 ounces but this caused no change in the whining sound. The steering all seems to work reasonably well but I'm not sure. Its a little jerky as the motor moves. Do you happen to know if bleeding a system WITH a power pump is the exact same procedure as bleeding a system without a power pump? Also, is there a secondary reservoir?

seasick

Reaction score
If the level was low to the point you saw the lower reservoir fitting then most likely it needs to be bled. I am more concerned as to why it lost fluid.
Seastar has instructions online for bleeding (hint, two people make bleeding a lot easier)

billbass

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
If the level was low to the point you saw the lower reservoir fitting then most likely it needs to be bled. I am more concerned as to why it lost fluid.
Seastar has instructions online for bleeding (hint, two people make bleeding a lot easier)
When I looked into that 1/4" NPT fill hole one can only see about 3/4" down into the reservoir. The greater cavity of the reservoir is not actually visible. Vision below that first 3/4" just is not possible. Where is this "lower reservoir fitting" you are referring to? Are you referring to the reservoir inside the "helm" immediately behind the steering wheel or some other reservoir? I have not found such a secondary reservoir yet. Is there one?

Just a beef I have. Life would be so much easier if GW saw it in their hearts to provide schematics and component placements in the documents they provide. Not knowing makes one totally dependent on a GW dealer. I'd rather do my own work and would rather not have to trailer my boat out of my wet slip just to tow it down to the dealer 20 miles away while they schedule the work for a week or more, all on my dime.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Can anyone point me to some good resources to identify the Seastar model numbers for the components of this steering system? The main components would be the helm, power assist pump, and then the actuator (piston) on the motor.
My pump is whining. A GW salesman told me “they all sound this way” and it’s ok. I’m wondering. On an automobile this would be a sound of trouble. Is the power assist pump easy to find in the stern? I haven’t looked yet.
Seastar was bought up by Dometic. Their website absolutely sucks. It is still possible to get to old Seastarsolutions web pages.
Here is a 2017 guide
http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/SL6001-26.pdf

You probably have a typical single motor, single cylinder(piston thing) and Standard Helm (or Classic Tilt Helm) system.
The Seastar part numbers are labeled on the components. My guess is you have an HC5345-3 cylinder.
Don't look at "Baystar". Skip past that to Seastar Outboard.

You have Seastar power assisted steering? Normally its nearer the cylinder than the helm. Do you have an AutoPilot?
Both of these are normally loud.

Check to see if you have Seastar (1000psi) or Seastar Tournament Pro (1500psi)

There is no reservoir except the helm unit. Fluid should be just below the threads when you look in the fill at the top of the helm.

Youtube is full of videos regarding flushing and priming Seastar systems.

Last edited:

billbass

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Thank you. I do have power assist. I wil look for the power unit. I can hear whining sound near to the motor. I'm sure its inside the transom. I don't think I have autopilot. What is the control if i have autopilot? The Garmin?

Is flushing and bleeding done the same as without having the auxiliary power unit? Are there two independant fluid systems or does the same fluid flow from the helm to the power unit and then to the actuator?

billbass

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Seastar was bought up by Dometic. Their website absolutely sucks. It is still possible to get to old Seastarsolutions web pages.
Here is a 2017 guide
http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/SL6001-26.pdf

You probably have a typical single motor, single cylinder(piston thing) and Standard Helm (or Classic Tilt Helm) system.
The Seastar part numbers are labeled on the components. My guess is you have an HC5345-3 cylinder.
Don't look at "Baystar". Skip past that to Seastar Outboard.

You have Seastar power assisted steering? Normally its nearer the cylinder than the helm. Do you have an AutoPilot?
Both of these are normally loud.

Check to see if you have Seastar (1000psi) or Seastar Tournament Pro (1500psi)

There is no reservoir except the helm unit. Fluid should be just below the threads when you look in the fill at the top of the helm.

Youtube is full of videos regarding flushing and priming Seastar systems.
That link you provided was great. I could not find that on the Seastar or Dometic web sites. Thank you!!