Steering Wheel Cap

Captccb

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has had this situation and how you remedied it.

After 14 yrs the black plastic steering wheel center cap cracked on my 96' 208.
The 5- spoke ss wheel and cap are made by Atwood, but they discont. the wheel 4 yrs ago and neither they nor Grady have anymore replacement caps left.

Has anyone had to replace this cap and were you able to find something else that worked well. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I do have an attwood steering wheel. Attwood said they had no more caps in stock and wasn't going to manufacture any. The one I purchased fit perfectly, just snaped in place.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Several years ago I bought a teak cap from a local marine store. Think it was a Land 'n Sea product. You find them in many marines stores with the blue and yellow card. My wheel has a small set screw that held the previous cap. The new one snapped it and set screw holds it in place. I did add a couple of coats of Cetol to the teak and it looks great.

Captccb

Reaction score
Got mine today. Fits perfect.

Thanks for the lead Coastal. This little thing has been a PITA to find. SS cap looks nice, definitely better than the old black.

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just replaced the cap on my 5 spoke Atwood wheel with 2 1/8" ID cap from Schmitt. Ordered the cap through Go2marine part #92626 "Small Stainless Steel Cap For 310 & 410 Series". About 14$. There would have been a "small order charge" but I also ordered electrical parts.

After have an "open hole" for several years, it really looks good...

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just ordered a stainless steel cap for myself. The shipping & small order charges more than doubled the price but I'm tired of having the broken plastic cap pop out constantly.

Thanks for sharing this information.

winsor94

Reaction score
To everyone on this thread... I have a 1995 208 with the same broken center cap problem except my cap is 2 1/2". I called attwood to double check availability and they told me they sold out of this item last month (go figure!). I called Schmitt and they told me that their caps require a set screw built into their steering wheels to secure the cap into place. My broken "attwood" center cap is black plastic with 3 clips in the back. No set screw. What was the outcome of your purchase when getting the center cap to stay? Did it snap in w/o a set screw? I'd really like to replace the cap. Thanks.

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
winsor94.....measure the inside ID of the steering wheel hub. If it is 2 1/8" or 2 7/16" a Schmitt SS cap is available from go2marine. It snaps in...no set screw involved. :arrow: See above replies for part #s, etc. The discontinued Atwood cap had plastic clips for retention and hasn't been available for at least 2 or more years. None of the Schmitt caps on the referenced (go2marine.com) site have set screws.

winsor94

Reaction score
1995 Grady 208 Adventure Steering Wheel Center Cap

Thank you SilverLining. The ID of the 5 spoke attwood SS wheel is 2 3/16" so I guess Schmitt is not going to work. Would you have any other suggestions?

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Find it puzzling that Atwood would make specific 5 spoke wheels with an inside ID differences of 1/16"(i.e. 2 1/8 vs 2 3/16"). The 2 1/8" ID replacement cap was a very snug fit into my wheel and probably will fit yours. The cap OD is 2 1/4". If too loose, a wrap or two of teflon tape should make it snug. Might be worth a try......

winsor94

Reaction score
replacement steering cap 1995 208 SOLVED!

Well you'll be happy to know (at least I was) that I ordered the center cap directly from Schmitt ($8.50 + $2 shipping) and it fit like a glove and snapped in perfectly. Don't know how I'll ever get it out but I'll cross that bridge when I come it it. Thanks again for the tip guys... it looks better than before!

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My stainless cap arrived this week and I finally popped it in this morning. It was a perfect fit. My wheel is an Attwood 5 spoke destroyer. It sure is nice to have that covered again.

Many thanks for the info!

suzukidave

Reaction score
bump to give a shout out to schmitt for customer service on somebody else's product. i ordered a replacement stainless cap for my 1994 223 attwood wheel. it arrived and was too big. turns out by miscommunication i thought they were shipping me a 2.5" / 2 1/8" id od cap when it was a 2.5" id cap. in any event, they sent out a replacement 2 1/8" id cap today without charge.

i am going to order an ongaro horn to say thanks (and also so i have a stainless horn that works) ...

if anyone needs a 2.5" id stainless steering wheel cap it is yours for the price of shipping.

Jim L.

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I’m 300 miles away from my 1996 Tournament 192 so I can’t measure but would like to replace the steering wheel cap on my next visit. Does my steering wheel look like an Atwood 5 spoke? See photo And does it look like the above referenced #92626 "Small Stainless Steel Cap For 310 & 410 Series" would fit it?

Attachments

• 1615F4FF-9B50-455C-B4CE-7B021F61B6A3.jpeg
    1615F4FF-9B50-455C-B4CE-7B021F61B6A3.jpeg
    552.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 491FF0C0-971A-44D5-A477-9600B6F7B84E.jpeg
    491FF0C0-971A-44D5-A477-9600B6F7B84E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Jim L.

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Bump. See unanswered question and photos from March 2023 immediately above. Thanks in advance for a response.