Steering wheel removal?

BCLII

Reaction score
My 2009 Tournament 205 helm (hydraulic tilt) started leaking last year. I'm going to remove it and have it rebuilt. How does the steering wheel come off! Looks like a large chrome nut that one unscrews? Or is the chrome piece just a cap that pops off to access the steering nut to remove the wheel? :hmm
Thanks,
Byron

ric2352

Reaction score
What steering wheel do you have...pic? Most of the time plastic cap on the hub pops off revealing a nut that needs to come off and you need a puller to get the wheel off the tapered shaft.

mboyatt

Reaction score
On your wheel, the large chrome nut will unscrew. Just turn it counter clockwise with an appropriate wrench. I would also make sure you wrap the chrome with a rag or something so it does not scratch. Once the nut is off, you will probably need a wheel puller to get the wheel off. I purchased one at AutoZone for about 14 bucks. Good luck! My helm seal leaked over the winter, so I just went through this process.

BCLII

Reaction score
Mboy
Who did you have to rebuild it? What were the costs?
Thanks,
Byron

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
These are the guys:

http://www.boatsteeringrebuilders.com/

They charge maybe half of the cost of a new unit.

You can usually get the wheel off without a puller. Just remove the nut and spray on some Corrosion X (the thin stuff, not the heavy duty). Tap the bolt with a hammer a couple of times to let the harmonics open the threads a bit. You don't need really whack it. Wait a day and tape the bolt a few more times. You can usually pop the wheel off by inserting a pair of screw drivers between the hub and the bezel.

mboyatt

Reaction score
Byron,
Fortunately, I did not have to rebuild my Teleflex Sea Star helm. Mine was leaking from the front of the helm, just behind the steering wheel. In doing some Internet research, I discovered there is a quad o-ring in the front behind the steering wheel that tends to go bad over time. I ordered the new o-ring from Teleflex for about 4 bucks and did the work myself. Very easy job. Remove wheel, remove round plate that covers the o-ring, and you are there. Swap it out and replace cover and steering wheel. I think that replacing the o-rings on the back of the pump is fairly easy as well. If you do a search on the ContinuousWave website (this is a Boston Whaler forum) you will find an extensive article with photos on how to completely replace all o-rings on the Teleflex helms. Good luck!

BCLII

Reaction score
Mboy
I took it out and sent it to marine control systems in NC. Tele star in Vancouver said to send it there and they will rebuild it. Talked to them and got a quote of $140. They appeared to be good folks. Even that price is way better than a new one at $600. Most marinas around here just put new ones in. Ouch!
Thanks for the tip on removing the wheel, came off easy, both nut and wheel.
Byron

mboyatt

Reaction score
Good deal, Byron. I too thought of a new helm until I looked at the prices. Ouch! I ended up sanding mine down to the aluminum, then priming with self etching primer, then several coats of black automotive paint (a matte finish so it's not too shinny). It looks brand new. The one leaking o-ring prompted all of the repairs. Glad you were able to work it out for a reasonable price. Now it should be good to go for another 20 years :D

grady23

Reaction score
I would be very careful about trying to pry on the black plastic bezel. If you loosen the nut and back it off to where it is flush with the end of the shaft, you can use a hammer and tap on the nut/shaft while someone applies pulling pressure on the wheel itself. I replaced the outer shaft seal on mine and that was all tat was needed in my case.

mboyatt

Reaction score
I was too afraid to go hitting on the shaft or prying. I opted for the wheel puller from Autozone since it was very inexpensive. Part of what prompted me to get the puller was fear that I would damage something by trying to force the wheel off. With my luck, I would have screwed something up. :<>< The thought of needing a new $500 helm freaked me out.

BCLII

Reaction score
Helm update! I received my tilt helm back on Friday from marine control systems in North Carolina. Gary rebuilt the unit and got it right back to me. Cost of rebuild, $165 shipping included. Just a small fraction of a new helm. Here in MN, the dealers just wanted to replace the helm :huh
I plan on reinstalling it tomorrow morning. Thank you all for your input on my steering wheel removal. That's was my only concern with this project. Did not want to break some expensive plastic piece and there was none!
Byron

grady23

Reaction score
If you fill the reservoir after you reconnect everything, you should be able to bleed the systems with very little loss. Try to capture the used fluid. If it's clear and clean it can be re-used. This stuff isn't cheap. BTW-- You were smart to go the "safe" route removing the unit. I've been turning wrenches for over 52 yrs and still break stuff sometimes.

BCLII

Reaction score
Well I finished the helm. I actually opened both bleeders on the ram. Then put a short CLEAR 5/16" hose over each bleeder valve making a loop from one to the other. Then attached my qt bottle to the fill tube which was attached to the tilt helm. Punctured the bottom of the qt bottle with a pin. Then turned the wheel slow all the way one way until the air was gone making the clear tube free of all air bubbles. Tighten the too bleeders down removed the tube and then removed the bottle and filler tube. Checked system and found it rock solid. Checked fill hole and added about 3 to 4 drips more fluid. Good to go!