Steering wheel removal

wlewis

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to remove this cosmetic steering wheel hub nut without scuffing it up? I need to access the real nut that holds the steering wheel in place to remove the wheel to check a fluid leak.

Attachments

• 90380B6D-5141-42D8-84A2-7E875247073F.jpeg
    90380B6D-5141-42D8-84A2-7E875247073F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It looks like it just unscrews? Can't do it with your hand? Try a strap wrench or a rag and a large crescent wrench (it has smooth jaws).

wlewis

Reaction score
No way to do it with your hand. My crescent wrench's opening is about 1/4" too small. Have a large heavy duty one, but's just too cumbersome. I tried vice grips with a rag and left a few marks. Am looking for another crescent wrench to try again.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm curious to see what it takes for removal. My helm was squeaky and I wanted to take the wheel off for better access to lube it. I tried a strap wrench - no luck and gave up. Shot lube in around the bezel and got the squeak to stop. Eventually I'll need to replace the janky tilt mechanism with a new one, so the wheel eventually needs to come off.

wlewis

Reaction score
My steering is sucking air from somewhere in the helm. It's leaking fluid slightly from underneath the tilt button housing as well as from the backside. My mechanic said the remove the housing to inspect, thus the need to remove the wheel.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you're vice grips (or slip joint pliers) are large enough... put a thin pad in between the jaws of the pliers and the flats of the nut. Something like a paint stirring stick may work - maybe doubled up or reinforced with some duct tape so it doesn't split.

wlewis

Reaction score
I cut some plastic pads, taping them in place, but the heavy duty crescent wrench was just too large and cumbersome preventing me from tightening it down on the plastic pads. Once I find the correct size crescent wrench, I'll try again.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Is that an Edson wheel? If it was just a cover nut for the “real nut“ it would pop off rather than unscrew. I believe it has an insert to match the threads on the shaft, so they will both come off together, and the wheel should then come off the shaft.

wlewis

Reaction score
No idea whether it's an Edson wheel. I just assumed it was a cover nut that would screw off. It would be nice if it is a pop off nut. I thought I might try a plastic razor blade or stronger non scratching piece and try to create a gap to where I could try to pop it off with a screwdriver.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If it is original equipment, the nut should match the shaft, and it will be a heavy duty one piece threaded nut. If it is a replacement wheel, it may have an insert, which could be either threaded into the nut, or fit into a star shaped cut out on the back in the nut. YouTube is your friend, try to figure out what brand you have. Search Edson steering wheel removal, and Lewmar steering wheel removal for a start. They both look like what you are showing of yours.

wlewis

Reaction score
Mine is definitely original equipment. Would that make it Edson or Lewmar? Good idea on utube.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If it's a pop-off style, tapping it with a rubber mallet (or similar) from the side should start to dislodge it. Obviously, use light to medium pressure - but if it's meant to pop off, you should be able to see/feel that "it will work".

Although, if it's a pop-off style, it also should have rotated when trying to unscrew it. Or, at least, that sounds logical!

wlewis

Reaction score
This is an old thread that explains it is the threaded nut that holds the wheel in place, not a cosmetic cap.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looks like a Schmidt wheel to me.... I'd look for / borrow a large socket and driver.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That was literally a 3 second google search - same problem with the steering and removing the wheel. Gotta love the net....